Have you always wanted to know the secrets to applying makeup to make it look as though it was applied by a professional? Here is a look at ten makeup tips that are usually only practiced by professionals. Having that professional look is easier than it seems with these simple tips!
1. How to use foundation to your best advantage. There are many myths surrounding the use of foundation and how to correctly apply it. Many women avoid using it just because of the fact they are not sure what color to buy or how to apply it. Here are some professional tips on how to use foundation correctly.
To begin with you will want to pick the right color. Avoid foundation colors that are darker than your skin tone as they will give you a “masked” look. Use natural light to put on foundation and to ensure the color matches your skin tone. It is also important when applying foundation to ensure it gets blended in at the important areas such as the neck, ears and hairline. By just ensuring you have the correct color and by blending it in at the right spots, foundation can really help if you have imperfect or a blended skin tone.
2. You’re making me blush! How using blush can really make a difference! Blush can do everything from change the shape of your face to making you look younger when applied correctly. The first step to using it correctly is by getting the right shade for your skin tone. If you have lighter hair or red hair but an olive skin tone look to blushes that have an orange undertone to them. For darker haired individuals they can get away with using a blush that has a purple undertone.
To make your face look longer using blush apply the blush all the way from the corners of the eyes down to the corners of the mouth. This really help elongate the face.
3. The REAL truth behind black mascara. Most women are under the assumption that they are supposed to use black mascara on a daily basis however it really is supposed to be saved for more formal events. Wearing black mascara on a daily basis will actually give you an aged look. Unless you have naturally dark hair look to use brown mascara instead for a natural, healthy look.
4. The secrets to getting smokey eyes. The number one trick to getting smokey eyes is by using an eyeshadow and eyeliner that are the same color. The eye pencil should be used on the inside of the eyelid all the way to the outer corners for a dramatic look. Be sure to blend the two lines so they look connected. Next, use a shimmery shade all over the eyelid and then apply the darker shade that matches the eyeliner. Top the look off with some mascara and you will have the classic smokey eyes you see in movies and magazines.
5. Lipstick or lip-gloss? There is a general debate going on as to whether lip-gloss or lipstick is better for a makeup regime. From a professionals point of view, lip-gloss will always win hands down. While there are great things about lipstick lip-gloss gives off a brighter look and really draws attention to the mouth. It is also much easier to fix if it gets smudged.
6. Professional tips for eyebrows. Many women simply pluck away the stray hair around their eyebrows and assume that will give them a polished, professional look. However if you over pluck or you have very light eyebrows there is another simple step that can really give you a professional appearance. To do this, fill in the eyebrows with a special pencil that fills in the color. It looks very similar to eyeliner. Pick a color that is just a shade darker than your hair. This will give you a natural look.
7. Making your eyes look bigger. To really make your eyes “pop” and seem larger simply purchase a white eyeliner and apply it around your eyes. You can still use other colors of eyeshadow but you will want to avoid dark eyeliners especially black.
8. Using Bronzer. Some of us are naturally scared to use bronzer to make our skin glow because we are not sure on what shade to choose. However, if you know how to pick the right shade it can really make your skin look flawless. For those who have pale skin they should choose a bronzer with a peach tone whereas those who have darker skin can opt for darker colors.
9. Using lip stain. As one of the biggest trends out in the makeup world right now is lip stain. Similar to lip gloss in the fact that it really draws attention to the mouth lip stain also is great because it lasts! No having to worry about re-touching after a cup of coffee. To get the most out of using lip stain remember to use moisturizer throughout the day and always apply lip-liner first.
10. Use loose powder. One way to really make your makeup stay on all day (or night!) is to first apply loose powder especially on the eyelids to ensure eyeshadow stays on. Experts agree, by doing this makeup looks professionally done and will last all day.
Sources Cited: My own experience and http://www.makeupaz.com/techniquearticles/.