The most important must have for an organized dorm room is cooperative roommates. Whether it’s occupied by two or a dozen students, it takes effort and consideration to keep the room livable. To help create such an ideal setting, here are some suggestions:
1. The dorm room must have sufficient closets with doors, as well as plenty of space and hangers to keep the room floor and beds clear of casually tossed clothing and other obstructions.
2. If there are four or more roomies, bunk beds are preferable, to allow sufficient room for desks, tables, chairs and as much student and visitor walking around space as possible.
3. There should be individual study areas within the room, so that each student has as much privacy and quiet as possible during those necessary times.
4. Additional rules governing noise, including music, should be in place, so that study and normal sleeping periods are as quiet and uninterrupted as possible during study hours.
5. Additional agreements among the roommates must cover times for allowing outside visitors, card games, meals, parties and other group activities. Smoking in the room should be carefully considered, as to whether it will make non-smoking roommates uncomfortable.
6. Regular clean up and other round-robin duty assignments among the roomies are necessary for keeping dorm rooms neat and organized. Each student must spend assigned times to make all the beds, keep the room and bathroom empty of trash, as well as sweeping and mopping needs.
7. If commercial, coin-operated laundry facilities are nearby, each roommate must serve duty assignments to take care of collecting, washing, drying, folding and stowing away laundry.
8. If two or more roommates must share a bathroom, similar duty assignments for keeping it clean should always be in effect. Other courtesies should be followed, such as removing hanging clothing and acceptable personal cleanliness routines.
9. If the dorm room has kitchen facilities and/or a refrigerator, consideration should be in effect for keeping food fresh and clean-up duties after meals and snacks.
10. From the beginning of their assignment to a dorm room together, students must agree to obey all legal requirements for their behavior and possible negative effects on their roommates. Drugs, beer, liquor in the dorm room at all times should be strictly forbidden.
There are certain basic items students will need to meet requirements for an organized dorm room. Beds, chairs, closets and others are necessary. However, the roommates also need to establish rules of behavior that will make their time there as pleasant and productive as possible.