As Internet marketers, we frequently get asked by people new to the blogging scene why they should pay for a domain name and for hosting a blog. When you are first starting out we suggest you use free blogging platforms such as WordPress or Blogger to get accustomed to navigating around the system and getting your education. Once you have some familiarity and know the thrill of seeing your ideas in print live on World Wide Web, there are some definite advantages for forking over the money and paying for the best deal blog hosting.
Just to let you know, the technology has become so commonplace that it does not cost an arm and a leg these days to buy a domain name and have your site hosted. For around $10 you can buy and own a domain name for a year. For as low as $55 for a whole year, you can have your website hosted. In case you didn’t know it, a web host provides the service of storing the data for your site and serving it out to the live Internet. Unless you own the equipment to serve it yourself, you need a host to serve it for you. Basically you rent space from them and part of the fee you pay may cover tech support – help when and if you need it.
Advantages of Domain and Website Ownership
Here are a few reasons why you should buy a domain name and pay for best deal blog hosting…
1. You own your domain name and nobody else can take it. It becomes part of your branding as long as you pay to keep it.
2. You own your content and have the copyright to the content. You don’t necessarily own your content on a free site.
3. Free website companies can lose your site but when you pay for hosting, your host backs up your data. It’s a horrible feeling to sink months into creating a gorgeous, insightful blog and have it disappear off the face of the universe.
4. You can add functionality, such as search optimization features that allow you to get your site onto the top pages of the search engines. Free sites can let you do this to a certain extent, but you don’t get the “full Monty.”
5. You can generate affiliate (advertising) and keep 100% of the revenues for yourself. The free sites also generate this type of income but the host giving you the free space keeps the all the money, or at least a generous portion for their own benefit.
6. You can sell your products through Paypal or another payment gateway.
7. You have the right to sell your website and generate a profit just like you can with real estate, this is “online real estate,” and yes, it can be sold. There are entrepreneurs in the world that want to own an online business, but want to buy one that is already generating sales or some type of income. They are willing to pay top dollar for a decent website.
8. Owning your site gives you more authority, makes you appear more legitimate. It looks a little tacky to hand out a business card that shows you are using a free website service. It makes you look cheap or not well versed in the current marketing strategies.
9. You can access the files on the server which allows you the freedom to customize your site even if you use a template.
10. You have immediate tech support from your host; you don’t always have this with a free site.
11. An email address can be set up using your domain name. For example if your website is www(dot)helpinghands(dot)com, your email address can be maria(at)helpinghands(dot)com instead of maria(at)gmail(dot)com. The Gmail address if perfect for your friends and family, but if you are trying to make a professional impression, your email address needs to be impressive.