Are you trying to get your little one potty trained and need a little help? Here are some tips for potty training.
1. Consistency -Make it consistent. So every time the child wakes up, or after they eat, or before they go to bed, make sure you put them on the potty. Not only are these key time when they will probably will go to the bathroom, but it gives them a routine that they will begin to associate with going to the bathroom.
2. Frequent -Make sure you put them on the potty frequently. Maybe you will catch them at a time when they have to go.
3. Make it fun – Make it an enjoyable time so that they want to actually go on the potty. Even if it’s just sitting down.
4. Leave the room -Sometime when you are in the room it give the child stage fright. Stand outside the door so you are just in arms reach of helping them.
5. Bribe them -When they go to the bathroom give them candy.
6. Read a Potty Book -Read any one of the many potty books. This will help them understand what they are a doing a bit better.
7. Big Praise -When they go to the bathroom, make it a BIG deal.
8. Sing a potty song – Sometimes sing the potty song when they go on the potty or after is fun and relaxing to the child.
9. Give them a prize – If they go to the bathroom offer a small prize for more of an incentive.
10. Be patient with them -Don’t make the feel bad about not going, it will cause them to associate going potty in a negative way.
11. Stretch the truth – Stretch the truth or tell a little lie to get them to go. For example, say that if they don’t potty then potty fairy won’t be able to come. Something fun and exciting.
12. Don’t get mad at them -Just keep the experience as positive as you possibly can.
13. Make it comfortable -Make the bathroom a comfortable place so that they enjoy going to the bathroom. Add toys, or a small potty, or stuffed animals for a better visual.
14. Big boy/girl underwear -Sometimes even the potty training diapers absorb too much. Put them in underwear so they actually feel the potty in their pants.
15. Make it a game -Make a game out of it to make it more enjoyable. You could consider placing a target in their for target practice as 1 idea.