Consumer trends and retail trends can guide your Christmas shopping. These are the top 20 at TrendHunter and how to use them to get the right gift.
20. Personalization: Personalization continues strong so everyone can still dream of being a bobblehead someday.
19. Unservice: The pump-your-own-gas retail trend has spread. Cash and gift certificates make people do their own Christmas shopping.
18. Peacocking: Some people are fighting the recession with bright colors. I like jewel tones, but neon is out.
17. Rentals: The new poor are opting for temporary ownership. Sounds good for big luxury items.
16. Half Formal: Young professionals mix formal and casual wear so you can buy them either.
15. Prodependency: Unable to afford two house payments, couples cohabitate faster. Remember, shared décor is temporary. Matching tattoos may require laser surgery.
14. Picky Eaters: It’s now easy to find food products for vegans and the gluten-free. Customize your gift baskets.
13. DIY Healthcare: The explosion in home health and cosmetic devices is a huge consumer trend. Get the one you love a DIY laser unless they’re sensitive about being hairy.
12. Nostalgia Marketing: Bad economies make people return to the good old days and childhood enjoyments. Old books and music sound good.
11. Crowdsourcing: Rather than pay employees, more businesses make an open call to crowds of people to outsource tasks. Somehow, anything that isn’t moderated tends to wind up pornographic. Actually, much of TrendHunter looks a little pornographic.
10. Exposed Vulnerability: Privacy concerns are a strong consumer trend and identity theft runs rampant at Christmas. Protect yourself during your Christmas shopping.
9. Emotionology: Emotion-sensitive technology is spreading to devices like phones. Dig out your old mood ring.
8. Simpletising: Promote simple lifestyles and minimalism.
7. Ecopolitan: For lovers of eco-friendly development, get them recycled furniture for their underground abode.
6. Greenpliances: Save money and the environment by Christmas shopping for these family gifts.
5. Nomadabodes: Unique temporary housing is spreading. So are foreclosures. Give a tent.
4. Pop-Uptailing: Mobile displays are a retail trend. Maybe your Christmas giving can create a new job.
3. Swapping: If you can’t afford new stuff, swap what you’ve got. Do your Christmas shopping on Craigslist.
2. DIY Décor: The only limit is your creativity with this consumer trend.
1. Next Besting: When you can’t afford the best, learn to love the rest.
Keep up with consumer trends and retail trends so your Christmas shopping looks the next best.