Here are 25 ideas to entice your kids to try new things, for you to get to make yummy new creations, and even some ideas to make your kids favorite foods more nutritional without them knowing!
1. 1. Ham logs- if your child is not fond of the idea of sandwich meat on an actual sandwich try rolling a few pieces in a log and securing with a toothpick.
2. 2. Microwave quesadillas- use two tortillas, spread one with refried beans, and sprinkle on shredded cheese. On the other tortilla put a thin layer of sour cream and then place it sour cream side down on top of the bean and cheese one. Use a pizza cutter to cut into pie shaped slices and then microwave 30-40 seconds or until warm.
3. 3. Peanut butter and chocolate toasted sandwiches- Spread peanut butter on a slice of bread and top with half a chocolate bar. . Then toast both sides of the sandwich on a grill or George Foreman, or toast the bread before hand and then microwave to melt the chocolate.
4. 4. Meatloaf toasted Ravioli- If your child says no to meatloaf but likes toasted ravioli make extra meatloaf and with the leftovers make this version of toasted ravioli the next night. Put a small ball of meat loaf in the center of a wonton wrapper and pinch corners together to close. brush whisked on the outside of wonton wrapper and bake 5-10 minutes until crispy
5. 5. Cinnamon roll ups- take a tortilla, spread with butter and sprinkle sugar and cinnamon over entire tortilla, roll it up and serve this quick and easy snack.
6. 6. Bowtie Mac- tired of regular boxed Mac n cheese? Try this variation. Cook whole grain bow tie pasta until soft, drain and put a serving full into a microwave safe bowl, add shredded cheese or tear a piece of American cheese into small pieces. Add two spoonfuls of light sour cream, stir and microwave until bubbly, about 40 seconds, stir again and let cool a minute before serving.
7. 7. Color of choice smoothies- Most kids will eat anything if it is their favorite color. If your picky boy loves blue make him a blue smoothie for a healthy breakfast or snack. Blend a banana frozen blueberries and milk with an ice cube to make a blueriffic smoothie. Use different types of berries for different colors.
8. 8. Hairy hotdogs- cut a hotdog into inch long pieces and pierce with uncooked speghetti noodles until hotdog is in the center of hotdog. Put three or four pieces in each hotdog and cook according to pasta directions.
9. 9. Make your own pizza- kids love to cook and this easy recipe can be made with little help from mom. Put a piece of toasted whole wheat bread, shredded cheese and tomato or pizza sauce on a plate and give them spoon to spread the sauce with, then let them get cooking! If they want their cheese melted about 15 second in the microwave should do it.
10. 10. Nachos- use your child’s favorite kind of tortilla or potato chip, cover with shredded cheese and microwave until melted, spread sour cream with a spoon all over nachos for a yummy snack.
11. 11. Pink stuff on bread- this is what my very picky daughter loves to have for breakfast. She does not like bagels all that much so spread strawberry cream cheese on whole grain bread for an equally delicious breakfast food.
12. 12. Hotdog-less bun sandwiches- hot dog buns make food fun, not just hotdogs, try any kind of sandwich meat, pb&j or even tuna fish salad on a hotdog bun for a fun twist.
13. 13. Naked baked potatoes- for kids who are “skin” resistant peel the skin off the potatoes immediately after cooking, then mash potato with a fork and add butter, shredded cheese, sour cream or ranch. The trick is to mask repeatedly with a fork so every bite has cheese and sour cream or ranch in it.
14. 14. “Fluffy” cookies- we make ordinary crème filled sandwich cookies into marshmallow lover’s paradise by adding a good dollop of marshmallow fluff to each one! Hey is your going to have a sugar high child it better be worth it!
15. 15. Cheerio trail mix- for long car rides or when you are out and about make sure your child doesn’t get the I’m Hungry Grumpies by filling a sandwich bag with a cup of cheerios, 1/3 cup dried cranberries, ¼ cup of assorted nuts, and ¼ cup chocolate chips or mini marshmallows.
16. 16. The food Coloring Trick- Food coloring makes food fun! Add a couple drops of your kid’s favorite colors or one drop of each for a color rainbow in their oatmeal, cream of wheat, applesauce, or milk.
17. 17. Sauces Everywhere- kids love dipping sauces. They may like just a certain one, like ranch or ketchup or they may like any dipping sauce, but don’t think that sauces can only be used on certain foods, even though you wouldn’t eat ranch on your rice or ketchup on your pizza doesn’t mean it won’t be the secret to getting your kids to eat their dinner, whatever works!
18. 18. “Jam”in toast- instead of just butter on toast let your kids try out different types of jams on their toast to make it more interesting, Honey is also an enticing option.
19. 19. Taco Mac’n’cheese- Go ahead and make a box of Mac n cheese according to the directions and then add cooked ground beef, a packet of taco seasoning, a can of diced tomatoes and a half cup of ketchup. Mix together on low heat stirring constantly until well mixed. Very tasty and kid approved!
20. 20. Fruity pancakes- add nutritional content to this much loved breakfast food. Add a half cup of applesauce or pureed banana to make your pancakes more flavorful and healthy without losing any of the kid appeal.
21. 21. Grilled cheese strips with dip- try this for kids who love fried cheese sticks. Make grilled cheese the normal way but cut it into strips and serve with ranch or marinara sauce
22. 22. Carroty spaghettios- Kids love spaghettios but the nutritional content is minimal, boost it with a fourth cup of baby food carrots that you can mix into the soup before cooking. Carrots also cut the acidity of tomato sauce so try it in any recipe with tomato sauce.
23. 23. Fruit picks- to make kids more interested in their fruit try slicing fresh fruit and spearing it with a toothpick, serve fruit picks on their lunch plate or make a plateful for a kid friendly dish at a party or potluck.
24. 24. Cheesy peas and carrots- canned peas and carrots are much more appetizing when you add shredded cheddar cheese and bake until creamy, add parmesian cheese to the top to finish it off.
25. 25. Peanut butter marshmallow quesadilla’s- spread peanut butter on one quesadilla, spread marshmallow fluff on another quesadilla, put them together, cut with a pizza cutter and microwave until warm for an ooey gooey delicious treat!