After the unforgettable experience of September 11, when thanks to the power of television we watch the Twin Towers vanishing in front of our very own eyes, it was hard to embrace the possibility that another incident would have us glued to our TV’s for over 24 consecutive hours. Well, it’s happening again. This time, with the rescue of the 33 Chilean miners that has been underground since the Copiapo mining accident on August 5th, 2010. After 69 days of hopes and prayers, and watching the Fenix 2 capsule come and go, we are witnessing the positive outcome of a true story that had all the ingredients to be just another natural disaster in history.
33 miners alive by Chilean government decision
In plain sight we are looking at a historic display of masterminds working at its best. After the Copiapo mining accident on August 5th, 2010, 33 men are rescued after using every technology, expert and gadget available. Even NASA had a life saving role applying outer space insights to underground challenges.
Without doubt, the Chilean government, and its President Sebastian Pinera, have shown the world that if life is a movie, they are determined to have a happy ending.
The power of 33 for Chile, for the miners, and everyone else who wants to believe
What does it mean, having so many 33’s in the equation? The list of possible explanations is endless. Soon, many conclusions will circulate coming from experts in astrology, numerology, metaphysics, Mayan culture, etc. The challenge for them is to make sense of the following details:
1. On 5 August 2010, the San Jose copper-gold mine, near Copiapo, Chile, collapsed, leaving 33 men trapped deep below at 688 meters (2,257 ft) underground.
2. The note that confirmed 17 days later, that the miners were alive, read: “Estamos bien en el refugio los 33” (English: “We are fine in the shelter all 33”). If you use the MS OffIce Word Count tool, for underlined words, in it will’ show there are “Characters (with spaces) 33” in both sentences.
3. On September 17, after 33 days of hard work, the miners greeted the arrival of the drillhead that finally made it to the shelter, making it more than real the chances of coming back to their loved ones.
4. Much has been said about the date they will all finally come out to the surface: 10-13-10, adds up to 33.
5. As it was explained by the authorities, it would take two to three days of adaptation under medical supervision, before they can finally go home. This means, that if everything goes well, it will be happening next Friday. On Saturday, October 16th, they will be waking up in their own beds and changed lives for the first time in a long time. This same day, 33 weeks ago Chile was hit by an earthquate rating a magnitude of 8.8.
33 miracles or what?
There are many details yet to be discovered but so far we know enough to wonder if this is the human race showing what they can do with their resources and their skills or if we’ve been given not one, but 33 miracles, to once and for all get our acts together and start believing in humanity, again. It could be a little of both, but that’s for each of us to decide.