The typical US diet is ineffective at promoting healthy human beings. With the majority of Americans being overweight (5) and at risk for many chronic diseases (1) it is imperative that people find ways to promote health via proper exercise and nutrition. This is especially true for men, who typically experience shorter life spans than women.
Very often is can be difficult to obtain the requisite amount of “proper nutrition” through regular diet alone. For most it is advisable to complement their diet with certain dietary supplements.
Below I have compiled a list of what are, in my opinion, the four most beneficial dietary supplements for men.
– Multivitamin – Everyone should be taking a multivitamin supplement (not just men). In a paper published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, Dr. Robert Fletcher and Kathleen Fairfield state that, “…the usual US diet provides an insufficient amount of…vitamins.”
In the same paper Fletcher and Fairfield mote that supplementation of multiple vitamins and minerals can help prevent cancer, cardiovascular disease, and other chronic diseases. (1)
– Tribulus Terrestris – Tribulus Terrestris is known to increase testosterone. Increased testosterone levels mean most lean muscle mass, decreased body fat levels, and increased sex drive. (2) It is important to note that the increase levels of testosterone aren’t anywhere near levels needed to produce undesirable side effects. It’s kind of like bringing your testosterone levels to what they were when you were a teenager or in your early 20s (or perhaps a bit higher).
– Resveratrol – Resveratrol has a whole host of beneficial properties. It acts as a neuro-protective and cardio-protective agent. Also, it has been shown to block estrogen in the body. In men, excess estrogen is known to cause quite a few nasty side effects like: increase levels of body fat, decreased muscle mass, lowered libido, and mood swings. (3)
– Saw Palmetto – Saw Palmetto is a well known dietary supplement that has a beneficial impact on prostate and urinary tract health. It is also beneficial for treating erectile dysfunction. (4)
None of the supplements are difficult to come by and all are very inexpensive.
Typically you will notice improvements in your well-being in about 4-6 weeks (assuming proper and adequate dosage).
1. Multivitamin – http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/287/23/3127
2. Tribulus Terrestris – http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/haycock/tribulus-terrestris.htm
3. Reseveratrol – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resveratrol
4. Saw Palmetto: http://men.webmd.com/tc/saw-palmetto-topic-overview
5. Overweight: http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20100210/percentage-of-overweight-obese-americans-swells