It is that time of year when you are ready to embark on that amazing winter vacation destination. There are many choices with a vast majority to choose from. Here are the five best ski resorts in Europe acknowledged as world-class destinations.
1. St. Moritz,Switzerland has been recognized as one of the most famous winter resorts in the world boasts the most breathtaking mountains and sparkling views. I find this resort to be amazing and at the top of my favorites. This small town in the Swiss Alps has many quaint shops and revitalizing spas to enjoy. Besides the fabulous ski resorts, our favorite winter activity in the town is sledding. There are special slopes and parks dedicated to this downhill activity. Featured in movies from Alfred Hitchcock to James Bond, this extravagant ski resort lives up to its reputation. The top hotel in St. Moritz is Kempinski Grand Hotel des Bains which is a four star resort and has packages for four days starting at approximately CHF 3400 for a double room including ski passes each day.
2. Cortina d’ Ampezzo in Italy revolves around traffic-less life and is renowned for being one of the world’s first ski resorts. Since hosting the Olympics in 1956, Cortina has been at the top of the world’s winter resorts and has attracted celebrities such as Brigitte Bardot and Audrey Hepburn. Don’t be surprised if you pass George Clooney on these slopes. Known for its fine cuisine, Cortina features ski in and ski out old hut style restaurants. Miramonti Majestic Grand Hotel is the top in the area and rooms start at €225 per night for a double room.
3. Innsbruck, Austria is the crème de la crème of skiing in Europe which is often compared to Aspen in Colorado. The terrain boasts over 200 trails most of which are intermediate but for those dare devils there are some challenges in store here. As Austria’s urban center there are many choices for culture, entertainment and nightlife including a world class opera. The top pick accommodation in Innsbruck is the Grand Hotel Europa located in the city center. The rates start at €160 per night for a double room.
4. Chamonix-Mont-Blanc, France is an incredible village nestled among the French Alps. In addition to the great slopes including the world’s longest ski run, there are many delightful hamlets and villages to discover and the town offers an Alpine museum. Be sure to take advantage of the city’s free public transportation. The best chalet to stay in Chamonix is Auberge du Bois Prin which can be booked for $274 per night for a double room.
5. Gstaad,Switzerland is lined with charming wooded chalets and is renowned for being a fashionably chic Mecca for skiers. With its traffic free streets, you can enjoy the calm French speaking village free of environmental stressors. It is a great place to take a break from life and enjoy exquisite cuisine and delicious hot cocoa. There is an abundance of small boutiques for shopping so take your time because life is slow in this region of the world. Great places to stay in Gstaad are the charming Swiss chalets and apartments that are rented through several travel companies in the area. The average price is €250 per night.