Christmas to children is mostly about receiving gifts from Santa Claus and loved ones. Instead of the traditional opening presents, why not use one of these five ideas for celebrating Christmas with children to make it even better.
1. Start the day out by making holiday cookies and treats with your children. Although the first thing children are going to do is run to the Christmas tree and open their presents. After all is said and done, have them gather in the kitchen for a fun time making Christmas cookies and treats. You can give each child a specific task, like sprinkling or icing the cookies, or frosting the cupcakes. You will be surprised at how much a child loves to bake.
2. Let the children paint two ornaments for the Christmas tree. After all the presents are unwrapped, sit the children down at a table. Let them pick two ornaments to create for the Christmas tree. You can buy unpainted ornaments at any arts and crafts store in your local area. Once they are done, let them place them on the tree where they want them.
3. Have an indoor carnival for Christmas. Set up tables inside or out with arts & crafts for sale, snacks for sale, even drinks for sale. For games, you can have darts, apple dunking, pictures with Santa (family member dressed as Santa), cupcake eating contest, charades, bingo, even pin the hat on Santa. Have them invite all of their friends. Go all out and make Christmas more enjoyable than it ever was for the children.
4. Teach them what giving during Christmas is all about by allowing them give back. Nothing says Christmas like giving something to those less fortunate. Have the children make sandwiches or snacks, and bring them to a place where the homeless are. Let them give out the things they have made, and show them that this is the true meaning of Christmas. You will see how excited they get just by giving something so simple as a sandwich to someone who has nothing.
5. Have a Christmas picnic with the children. All children really care about on Christmas is what they get. What better way to celebrate Christmas with children by taking them to their favorite park and enjoying their gifts. Pack up a Christmas lunch, grab a few blankets and chairs, and head out and enjoy Christmas with your children.
Although many people would prefer tradition, it is acceptable to make your own holiday traditions with your family. These five ideas for celebrating Christmas with your children are just a few. Use your imagination and enjoy the holiday with your family and friends.