Everybody loves tradition, and what better way to start a new year by having a traditional Christmas gathering at your home or the home of your loved ones. If you are not quite sure what the five most common Christmas traditions are, then take a look below. Along with these five common Christmas traditions, it could also be special to start your own as well.
1. Santa Claus is still one of the most common Christmas traditions. Even after all these years, kids cannot wait for Santa Claus to climb down the chimney, or climb through their window to leave presents for all those who have been good during the year. Santa Claus, St. Nicholas, or Sinterklaas known by the Dutch, has been a Christmas tradition since the 16th century. Santa Claus will be around for 100’s of years to come as one of the most common Christmas traditions ever.
2. Decorating Christmas trees. Through out the world people celebrate Christmas in many different ways. One thing is common however in all homes thought out the world, and that is the decorating of a tree. Not all people decorate the traditional “Christmas Tree” that we are all use to. In America the common tree to use is either a Fraser Fir or Red Fir, in Europe the common tree to use to decorate is Silver Fir or Nordmann Fir. Some believe that decorating the tree should begin on Thanksgiving, or the day after. Then you have those who decorate the day before Christmas, all depends on where you are at in the world.
3. Christmas stockings hung on the chimney to be filled by Santa Claus on Christmas Eve. This common Christmas tradition has been around for centuries all around the world. Children everywhere, hang homemade or bought stockings on the fireplace waiting to see what goodies Santa Claus will fill them up with. Once children wake up on Christmas morning, the Christmas stockings are usually the first things they head to.
4. Christmas feast with family and friends. In many homes throughout the world, planning for Christmas dinner is a tradition that everyone helps and looks forward to. Traditional Christmas dinner consists of Ham, Turkey, vegetables, starches, and lots of desserts (mostly pie). In some cases such as an Italian Christmas feast, they prefer to eat seafood during the holidays.
5. Decorating the inside and outside of your home during the holidays. Many American homes are decorated with holly, mistletoe, blinking lights, and Christmas wreaths. Most have a Christmas tree inside of the house, sometimes outside, with lights, tinsel, Christmas bulbs, and strings of popcorn and candy canes.
There you have it, 5 of the most common Christmas traditions that you and your family can make your own. Along with the common traditions of Christmas, its always nice to start your own family tradition each year.