It’s so ironic that what should be a peaceful, joy-filled time of year (Christmas) has become a stressful, mangled mess of hustle and bustle for many of us. With all of the typical holiday stress, Christmas peace may be the last thing of your mind. However, Christmas relaxation with family and friends is exactly what we want and need. Here are five peaceful Christmas relaxation ideas that can help you to make stress this holiday season.
1. Be realistic: The key to peaceful Christmas relaxation is to understand that it is not humanly possible to “get it all done.” Pick the three things that will add the most to your holiday celebration (baking cookies, decorating, etc) and focus on those activities. Don’t commit to things that you hate doing: if you know that you will be stressed if you have to send out 75 Christmas cards, just don’t do it, or pare down your Christmas card list to a more reasonable number.
2. Take a break from Facebook: Seriously, folks, Facebook is not lending itself to Christmas relaxation or peace. Hearing about the exotic vacations and extravagant gifts of your old high school homeroom buddy can drive you crazy. Besides, too much time on Facebook can lead to a serious internet addiction. Keep Facebook in perspective: folks don’t typically use Facebook to broadcast their dirty laundry and it can paint an unrealistic picture of others’ lives. Multiply your Christmas joy by not logging into Facebook during the 12 Days of Christmas.
3. Set a budget: Nothing says “Bah Humbug” more than spending too much at Christmas. Make this holiday relaxing by cutting your Christmas spending and focusing on meaningful gifts and experiences that you can afford.
4. Schedule in fun: It’s great to spend time with the family at the holidays, but give yourself the gift of peaceful Christmas relaxation by thinking about what you enjoy most and scheduling it in. Make time for seeing the Christmas lights or reading your favorite books: whatever it takes to make your Christmas less stressful.
5. Be thankful: Whenever you feel stressed by the Christmas season, close your eyes and think of your family, friends, or whoever you are thankful for. These people should be your focus this Christmas season. Expensive gifts and perfect Christmas decorations can never give you the satisfaction that these relationships will give.
Christmas relaxation isn’t something that you need to ask Santa for: you can create it yourself. Before getting engulfed in the commercial Christmas spirit, consider these peaceful Christmas relaxation ideas and eliminate your holiday stress!