When we hear the sleigh bells ringing, smell the cookies baking, and see the children writing lists, we know that Christmas is right around the corner. During this busy time of year also comes an annual tradition for many Edison, New Jersey families, visiting Santa Claus!
For many children, the visit to Santa Claus is their one chance to look the big man in the eye and whisper their fondest wish in his ear. For many parents, the visit to Santa is an opportunity to capture the memories of this year in a photograph. Whether the children are smiling and happy in the picture, or frightened and crying, parents are usually happy to pull out the photos year after year and share them with their kids.
Whatever your reason for going, if you are looking for a place to visit Santa with your family this Holiday Season, you have several great options in and near Edison, New Jersey to do just that.
1. Right in Edison you can visit the Menlo Park Mall located at 100 Menlo Park Drive, Edison, NJ. Santa Claus arrives at this large area mall on Friday, November 5, 2010. He will be available for pictures daily through Friday, December 24, 2010. Santa’s Workshop at the Menlo Park Mall is located in the lower level in the Nordstrom wing. His hours can vary slightly from the regular mall hours so be sure to check the website or call ahead to make sure he is available when you plan to be there. http://www.simon.com/mall
2. Or, if you like, you can drive a short way over to the town of Woodbridge and visit him at the Woodbridge Center Mall. Here Santa Claus arrives at Santa’s Wish Workshop on Thursday, November 11, 2010 and he will be there through Friday, December 24, 2010. He will be available for pictures Mondays through Saturdays from 10am to 9pm, on Sundays from 11am to 6pm and on Christmas Eve from 10am to 5pm. In addition to Santa, the mall will have a candy cane machine and a snow making machine to enhance the festive atmosphere. Santa Claus is located at the Woodbridge Center Mall in the lower level just outside of JC Penney. http://www.woodbridgecenter.com/
3. Another mall visit option is just a little further from Edison, in the Mall at Short Hills. Here you can visit Santa at his Ice Palace. He will be there from Saturday, November 13, 2010 through Friday, December 24, 2010 during regular mall hours. The Ice Palace is in the lower level Grand Court. The Short Hills Mall is located at 1200 Morris Turnpike, Short Hills, NJ. www.shopshorthills.com/events
4. Now for something different. If you like train rides, you can find one complete with its own Santa Claus not too far away from Edison. Just travel to the town of Raritan or Westfield and ride The Santa Train. Children will delight in seeing Santa, Mrs. Claus and his helper elves on the train. As Santa makes his way through the train, he will visit with each child and you will have an opportunity to take pictures. There will also be sing-a-longs, candy canes and coloring books to make the event joyful for everyone. These train rides take place on December 11, 2010. The Santa Train will depart from Raritan at 8:30am. There will be two departures from Westfield, one at 9am and another at 1pm. The trip lasts approximately 2 hours. You should purchase tickets in advance as the sell out probability is high. Adult tickets are $13 and tickets for children are $11. This popular event is organized by the Volunteer Railroaders Association, The Whippany Railway Museum, and the Tri-State Chapter National Railway Historical Society. Tickets can be purchased via the website at www.santatrain.net
5. Or maybe a train ride that combines trains and a classic Christmas story would be more to your liking. If so, then the Polar Express train ride is perfect for you. Leaving from the Lehigh Junction train station in Phillipsburg, NJ this marvelous event is filled with wonder and joy for adults and children alike. On board you will be able to hear the tale of the Polar Express told over the train’s speaker system. There will be hot chocolate and cookies for the kids. As Santa and his elves visit throughout the train, each child will receive their own bell to take home. The trip lasts about 1 hour and 20 minutes and runs on weekends from November 27, 2010 to December 19, 2010. Trains leave from the station at 2pm, 4pm, 6pm and 8pm on Saturdays, and 2pm, 4pm and 6pm on Sundays. These trips normally sell out so book early. You can purchase tickets online at www.877trainride.com/polarexpress
No matter where you choose to find him, may you find a little bit of Santa Claus everywhere you go this Holiday Season.