A sharp mind is a mind that can think fast on its feet. A sharp mind is a mind that has a healthy body, too. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a sharp mind and a healthy body? Do you think it is out of your reach? Would you be surprise to know that to have a sharp mind and a healthy body all you would have to do is follow some simple tips such as?
1. Enjoy some coffee. Yet, you can’t go overboard on how much you drink. You must keep it down to three to five cups a day.
2. Exercise. This goes for people of all ages. Yet, it is even more important to make sure you exercise once you hit the middle age part of your life. Middle age men and middle age women are advised to exercise five to six times a week. Yes, walking counts as exercise as long as you walking hard enough to get your heart beat up a bit.
3. Know your cholesterol number and if you find out it is high get it under control. High cholesterol can lead to heart disease and it has been proven by that if you have high cholesterol once you reach your forties you have a higher chance of developing Alzheimer’s disease later in life.
4. While you are watching those cholesterol numbers, ask what your HDL number is, too. If this number dips too low, your chances of developing memory loss increases, too.
5. Keep your weight under control. Excess weight can cause a number of health issues as we become older. Now reports are indicating that having too much weight on our middle can also increase the risk of us developing dementia later in life (according to a study done at John’s Hopkins).
What else should we do to help sharpen our minds?
• Get plenty of sleep each night
• Practice memory exercising games to stimulate our brain
What we are doing know can have greater significance on the type of life we will be leading in our golden years. This is why we need to do what we can to strive for a healthier lifestyle.
Good Housekeeping Magazine