Do you or a family member have a fever and need to reduce it? Here are some tips to reduce your fever.
1. Take a bath -Taking a bath can drop your fever a couple of degrees instantly. Try doing this to make yourself and/or your child more comfortable. Just make sure the water is at a comfortable temperature, and does not have to be cold.
2. Take fluids – Take some cool fluids to not only cool your body, but to help in circulating water through your system which will cool you off as well.
3. Get plenty of rest – Allow your body time to fight the fever. Get plenty of rest so that your body can properly fight the fever, and so that you don’t overdo it.
4. Dress comfortably – Make sure you dress in light weight clothes. It used to be the practice that one should be wrapped in warm blankets, but this could cause someone to overheat. Just put on something that is comfortable and will allow you to regulate heat better.
5. Take medication – Please follow the proper guidelines when it comes to children. You can take such medications as ibuprofen or children’s Tylenol to help reduce you or your child’s fever.
6. Use a washcloth – A cool wash cloth place on key areas of the body can help reduce a fever. Placing the cloth around the neck, forehead, and/or armpits are good areas for cooling the body faster.
7. Use an ice pack – This is another way to keep cool by placing on key parts of the body. Be sure to wrap the ice pack in a towel so that it does not hurt the skin.
Please note as a safety issue that if you or your child’s temperature reaches 102 degrees that you should contact your doctor immediately for guidance.