Are you considering to paint the interior trim of a room in your home but don’t know where to start? Here are some tips to help you paint the interior trim of your home.
1. Clean surface -Before you begin, make sure you take a damp cloth and wipe down the trim. This will take off any unnecessary dirt and dust from the surface. This will make it easier for the paint to adhere to the trim surface.
2. Sand down for better adhesion – Some trim may have imperfections that need to be attended to. Use a power sander for quick results or you can use sand paper to take care of those little imperfections. If your trim also has a glossy finish on it, then the sanding will also make it easier for the paint to adhere to the trim.
3. Tape down the edges -Make sure you tape the edges between the trim and the walls. This way you don’t get any paint on the surround walls.
4. Flooring covered -Make sure you put some kind of floor covering down under the area that you are working. This will stop any accidently drips and will give you a place to put your paint down.
5. Repair any imperfections -If you have any cracks, nails, or paint cracking make sure you repair this so that your trim will be free of imperfections.
6. Remove any loose paint or caulk -Clean off any loose paint and sand it down for a clean look.
7. Prime first – After doing repair work, be sure to prime first before applying the paint. This will make it easier to apply the paint later.
8. Correct tools – Depending on what you are painting and the size of the trim will determine what paint brush you should use. If you are doing smaller trim, then a tiny brush will work and a larger brush will work for bigger trims.