Meeting the parents of your girlfriend is a big step. For many it is the step that is taken when a relationship is getting serious. If you have been asked to meet your girlfriend’s parents you are most likely overwhelmed with anxiety. The first thing that you should do is take a deep breath and relax. Meeting the parents is scary but can be a breeze if you remain assured and composed. Below are some simple tips on how to make a great impression on your girlfriend’s parents.
1. Introduce yourself to the parents as soon as you arrive at your destination. When you introduce yourself, make eye contact, and speak clearly and kindly. Give the father a nice firm handshake and give the mother a nice, gentle handshake. Be sure to make eye contact and try to smile with your eyes.
2. Do not over compliment the parents on their home (if this is where you will meet them.) If you over compliment you will appear as if you are trying too hard. Saying, “nice home” to the parents is simple enough and will do.
3. Make sure to acknowledge any siblings that your partner may have by saying hello and smiling. You can also ask the child what his name is and compliment him or her on his clothes, or a toy that he might be playing with. You might not be fond of small children but it is important to pretend for the sake of your budding relationship. Interacting with the siblings will surely grant you a soft spot in the parents’ and your partner’s heart. Also be sure to acknowledge all those who are in the house. You can come off as very disrespectful for not saying hello to all those who reside in the home.
4. Appear ambitious to the parents if they ask you what you are doing with your life at the moment. Many parents like to hear that their child’s partner is continuing their education or working for decent pay at a reputable company or at least working in a reputable career. If you are not in school and are instead working minimum wage at a fast food restaurant say so with pride. Let them know what your long term goals are. If you believe in yourself others will believe in you too.
5. Do not dodge your past. If word is out that you have acted unfavorably do not be afraid to admit it. Do not dodge the question or pretend as if you did not do something that you did. Admitting your mistakes is great to do. It shows that you are responsible and mature.
6. Avoid kissing your partner on the lips. A simple hug, a smile, a touch of the hand or even a kiss on the cheek will do. You do not want to seem sexually overt to the parents.
7. Avoid sitting down without being asked to. It is the proper thing to do to wait for the person to offer you a seat to sit down before sitting.
8. Last but definitely not least be truthful. One lie can get you tangled into a massive web of lies. When you remain truthful you will perceived as honest even if your past has not been that honorable.
9. Avoid using slang and cursing around the parents. You want to present yourself as pleasant. The parents want to feel comfortable with their daughter’s choice for a partner.