What are leeks? Many home cooks do not use them; not because they are disgusting, but of their inexperience with using them. Leeks are long ,green ,stalky veggies that are somewhere in between a bulb of garlic and an onion. Leeks deserve a spot in the kitchen since the flavors are inspiring and aromatic. Plus, they add rusticity to any dish.
These are only a few amazing leek recipes that will make the whole family(or just your
The next time that you are perusing the produce section, pick up a bunch of leeks and use them for one of these fast and fresh recipes:
Leek, Corn and Zucchini Salad
This side dish pairs well with poached halibut or seared scallops; it can serve as a vegetarian star, also. The combination of sweet, crunchy, and savory provide the palate with an array of to die for flavors.
1 zucchini, chopped into quarters
1 leek, sliced (don;t forget to rinse well)
1 lemon, halved
1 cup frozen corn
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup fresh basil
1. Wash the leeks by cutting them in half and then washing them under running water. Dry and slice.
2. Cut the zucchini in half, then into spears and then into quarters. Discard the ends.
3. Chop the basil by rolling it up and then slicing.
4. Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Saute the leeks until they are translucent. Add the zucchini and corn. Let cook for five minutes or so. Add the basil. 10 more minutes.
5. Squeeze the lemon juice into the pan. Mix well. Serve warm.
And after you have made that one, definitely try this one because it is so delicious that you may make it every single week!
Pesto and Leek Mashed Potatoes
What is better than a hearty bowl of fluffy mashed potatoes? Fluffy mashed potatoes with sun dried tomato pesto and leeks…seriously.
1 pound potatoes, preferably Golden Yukon
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp pesto rosso (check the olive aisle or find a great recipe)
2 big leeks, rinsed and patted dry
1 oz butter
1/2 a cup of milk
4 oz parmesan cheese
1. Peel, wash and dice the potatoes. Boil them in water until they are tender and can be punctured with a fork….about 20 minutes.
2. After washing the leeks, finely slice them…just the white/light green parts. Saute the leeks in the butter until translucent. (Do this once the potatoes are cooked).
3. In a saucepan add the milk, then season with salt and pepper to your liking. Add the garlic and pesto to the milk. Heat the milk mixture until hot but not boiling.
4. To the potatoes add the milk mixture and Parmesan cheese. Whip up until super duper fluffy!
These are just a few amazing leek recipes that you will absolutely love and the rest of your brigade will too. Don’t stop here though…try adding leeks to recipes that call for garlic or onion and enjoy a light rustic change to those old recipes.