Roman Holiday is an alternative rock band out of Seattle Washington. The band members are comprised of; Shane Lance on lead vocals and rhythm guitar, Daniel Collins on lead guitar, Nick Howard on Bass, and Emerson Shotwell on Drums. The first thing you think of when hearing Roman Holiday is, “What do you mean they aren’t signed?” They have the musicality that accomplished bands are still striving for, and this is from a band whose members are the average age of 22. They have the look the attitude and the drive to make it huge and they will, once the right record label finds them. Their music is arena ready and it’s just a matter of time so check them out and go see them live so you can say you saw them when.
1. Tell us a little about how you came about being Roman Holiday.
The four of us had been playing off and on together in a different local band, but not really pursuing anything seriously. Shane started to work at a recording studio in the area and began talking with the studio owner, Mark Simmons, about starting a Rock project to pour studio resources into. Shane brought up that he’d been playing music with some guys, then brought us in to play a few songs for Mark. Mark really saw potential in us. At that point we began writing, rehearsing, and recording at the studio. That’s essentially when we became Roman Holiday.
2. Do you all have the same musical interests or is it pretty diverse?
Our interests are pretty diverse. They range from The Beatles to The Strokes, from Bob Dylan to Kings of Leon, AC/DC to M. Ward. As cliche as it may sound, we feel like our different musical interests are what shape the “Roman Holiday” sound.
3. Which band would you say influences all of you the most?
The Beatles.Those guys changed the world in such a huge way. We’re fascinated by the effect they had on history. It’s unreal. We can only hope to reach as many people as they did.
4. Does Shane do most of the writing or is it a group effort?
Shane writes all of the lyrics. If he’s going to feel the emotion behind what he’s singing about, it’s got to come from him.
5. You seem to have surrounded yourself with people who are really talented in other aspects of your music career. Your video’s are very well done and you have a brand new website that is totally kick ass. Can you tell us a little about the people behind RoHo?
We’ve been really blessed with an unbelievably killer support crew. We come from a community with a whole lot of talented and artistic people. Lucky for us, a lot of them see potential in us and are eager to be a part of what we’re doing.
6. How would you classify your music, indie rock, pop rock, hip hop, rap…just kidding about the last 2.
Rock. Pop/Rock maybe. We love to rock, but we equally love to write songs that people can feel and sing along with.
7. Congratulations on being one of the top 10 unsigned bands on Made Man. Obviously you’d like to graduate to top 10 signed bands someday. Are there any irons in the fire as far as getting signed is concerned?
Right now we’re working ourselves to the bone as an independent band. Roman Holiday is just now to the point where we’re even entertaining the idea of signing with a label. Let’s just say we’re open to anything that will help us get to the next level.
8. The Internet seems to be a great resource for musicians. T-Bone Burnett was recently quoted as saying young bands should not have anything to do with Social Media. This obviously has to do with illegal downloading. Roho has really found a following through social media. Can you give us your point of view on Social Media and the music industry?
Roman Holiday was recently quoted as saying “T Bone doesn’t know what the hell he’s talking about”. Haha. Social media has played a vital role in the progress of Roman Holiday. It’s allowed us to make new fans, connect with those fans, and give them reason to spread the good word about RoHo. We can’t imagine climbing this mountain without the help of social networking. Who names their kid “T Bone” anyway?
9. You all come from a religious background but you are not a Christian band. Basically you’ re in the business of Sex, Drugs, and Rock n Roll. I assume it helps that you are all Christian but there is still temptation. How do you keep it together?
We’re not perfect. We’re obviously tempted all the time, but we do a good job of keeping each other in check. This has never been about “Drugs Sex and Rock n Roll” for us. It’s all about writing songs that the world can connect with and that they can feel. We keep our focus on that vision. That helps us “keep it together”.
10. If you could be the support for any band out today, who would it be?
THE PERSONAL QUESTION ROUND!
1. Any girlfriends, besides Daniel and his lovely gal Jessy?
Other than Daniel’s Jess, nope.
2. Who is the biggest primper in the group. Or dare I say metrosexual?
3. Who is the biggest penny pincher or the one who “forgets” to pay everyone back. (this one may start a fight)
No true penny pincher’s. But a fight was almost started. . .
4. Who is always late?
Luckily, no one.
5. Who is the biggest whiner on long van rides to gigs?
Whiner? Our van rides are a party! The only whining we hear is when one of us has to pee, but Shane won’t stop until he’s reached his next checkpoint.
6. Do you have any groupies?
Yes. We try to keep our distance.
7. Who is the most jealous of Nick’s guns?
His case of guns under the staircase? Or do you mean his muscles? Either way, no one.
8. Do you have any rituals before a performance such as prayer, song, dance party, etc…?
Literally just that. We meet backstage with our sound guy, Eli, huddle up and say a prayer, Em beat boxes a song, and we dance (terribly) like there’s no tomorrow. . .
9. Individual Questions: Who is your favorite-
Shane: lyricist – David Bazan
Daniel: Guitarist– As of late, Nick Valensi
Nick bassist – Ben Kenney
Em: drummer– Ronnie Vannucci
10. Who would be your dream producer to work with; Dream record label to be under; Dream Studio to record in?
This is a really tough one to answer. As far as producer and label, we’ll just say we want a producer who wants to help us make music that will change the world, and a label that believes we can do it. Dream studio? Abbey Road.
MANY THANKS TO ROMAN HOLIDAY FOR TAKING THE TIME OUT TO TALK WITH US. CHECK OUT THEIR TOUR DATES TO SEE WHEN THEY’LL BE PLAYING AROUND THE WEST COAST. AND TO THE REST OF THE WORLD HELP SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT THIS FANTASTIC BAND SO THEY CAN COME AND PLAY FOR YOU ON YOUR HOME TURF.
FOR ROMAN HOLIDAY FUTURE GIGS CHECK HERE
Follow the band on Twitter @Roman_Holiday
and on Facebook: Roman Holiday