Antifreeze poisoning in dogs can be a serious and deadly condition. Antifreeze is a type of engine coolant that people put into their cars so that their engine doesn’t freeze up on them during the cold parts of the year. Occasionally this fluid leaks onto the ground or is left open and a dog, or any animal for that matter, may lick it. Dogs are inclined to lick the fluid because it has a sweet smell and taste to it, but even though it may smell nice, it wreaks havoc inside the body.
Some of the common symptoms of antifreeze poisoning in dogs are nausea, vomiting, lack of coordination, weakness, and an increase in heart rate. You may notice that the dog’s bathroom habits change and the dog begins to have bouts of diarrhea and has to urinate much more often than usual. It’s not uncommon to see a dog that has antifreeze poisoning have bouts of fainting or even a seizure. If you think that your dog has consumed antifreeze, you should contact a veterinarian right away, as this is a very serious thing that needs to be dealt with right away.
The veterinarian will diagnose your dog by doing a physical examination on the dog. It’s important to inform the veterinarian of all symptoms and possible ways the dog could have consumed the antifreeze. The veterinarian will also usually run a series of tests that may include a stool sample, blood tests, and a urine sample, among many other possibilities.
If a dog has consumed antifreeze and does have antifreeze poisoning, it’s crucial that the dog gets treated quickly. If the dog has recently consumed the antifreeze and you are positive of it, the veterinarian can make the dog vomit. This will get rid of a good amount of the antifreeze, if done soon enough. If you aren’t positive that the dog has ingested it but you suspect it, you should definitely get the dog diagnosed first, and once the dog is diagnosed then the veterinarian may give the dog a drug that helps stop the body from trying to break the antifreeze down, and in severe cases the blood may have to be cleaned.
I have had family members lose a pet to antifreeze poisoning and it’s a really sad thing to have happen. Their car leaked antifreeze onto the ground and once they let their dog outside, the dog licked up the antifreeze from the ground. They didn’t know that this had even happened, only after the dog had died had they found out. It’s important to prevent this from happening, which you can easily do by just doing a few simple things. Make sure that you tightly secure the antifreeze and put it away after use. You should also make sure that your car isn’t leaking any types of fluid, as all the fluids in a car should not be digested by any animal. Try your best to clean up any spills of antifreeze on the ground after they happen. Always keep a good eye on your dog, if possible, while they go outside. No dog deserves to die from something that can be controlled, and no family deserves to lose a pet to something like this.