What is wrong with those parents who help their children to fail in school? Those parents see that their children are not completing assignments, are failing tests, and are continuously misbehave in school, yet they do nothing to fix the problem.
This is why Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy wants to place those neglectful parents in jail. According to one article, Worthy unveiled her plan “to the Detroit City Council that would require parents to attend at least one parent-teacher conference per school year or spend up to three days in jail.”
Kym Worthy explained that locking up careless parents is just one of the consequences on her list. She is hoping that parents will become more encouraged to take part in their children’s education and limit absenteeism.
Can you imagine how many parents are raging over Worthy’s proposal? The parents who are reacting negatively are probably the same ones who are failing to participate in their children’s education.
Why would those parents give birth to children if they prefer for them to live in ignorance? Ask any educator and they will give you the same descriptions of indifferent parents.
Description of an apathetic parent:
- These are the parents who make it a habit to disrespect educators for challenging their children to learn.
- They allow their children to use their IEPs to manipulate the system.
- They will not allow their children to stay after for detention.
- They keep their children at home because their children didn’t complete certain projects.
- They send their children to school dirty.
- They show up to meetings, pretending that they will force their children to behave and do the work, yet nothing changes.
- They wait until June to find out the assignments their children are missing.
- They get the progress report or report card, see the failing grades, but choose not to help their children.
- These parents are the ones who support their children as they raise havoc in the public schools.
- They are the same ones who show up to the schools untidy and oblivious.
- They complain that their children have too much work. Then these adults grumble when their children cannot pass MCAS.
- They pretend to be too impoverished to purchase pencils and notebooks, yet their children have cell phones that even the teachers cannot afford.
Detroit City Council Pro Tem Gary Brown is in favor of Kym Worthy’s suggestion. “It’s child abuse when your child is failing in school and you’re not involved, because you are strapping that child to a life of poverty,” he said.
However, Daniel Lessard, a Livonia Public Schools board member, said the proposal is “the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard in my life.”
The reason why many politicians and school departments would shun Worthy’s plan is because they know a heap of parents would end up behind bars.
Therefore, in the meantime, those same politicians will continue to blame the teachers even though the teachers are not the ones giving birth to children and neglecting them.
This plan has been delivered to the state legislature and the Wayne County Commission, so hopefully it will go into effect.