If you already have a good, regular exercise regimen during the rest of the year, all you really need for autumn is to keep it going. And, if the incentive is right, you can add more time and more vigorous activities. One enjoyable advantage of that great time of year is the bracing weather and spectacular scenery. Some ideas for making your autumn exercises more enjoyable may be worth considering.
1. Instead of inside exercises at that sweaty old gym or health club, do a jog through the park among the autumn leaves. It may be so enjoyable, you’ll find yourself going faster and longer than usual, and won’t miss the indoor restrictions at all.
2. Sign up a gang of other exercisers, back-pack some sandwiches and run together through colorful autumn forest trails, in the park, and if any are nearby, the sandy beaches. Take time out to renew your energy with lunch, some gossip and laughs. Then everyone is up and eager to go for another hour or two.
3. Use some of your free time to help others, while you can continue to do your own exercise regimen. Offer to gather and bag leaves for an elderly relative, friend or neighbor. Join in or start up a community clean-up campaign at the local park, sidewalks or streets.
4. Organize or volunteer to join in on an autumn run to raise contributions for a local charity or civic improvement campaign. Do the same with a scheduled run especially for local kids who want to earn money for their choice of charities.
5. Check the autumn skies schedule for full moonlit nights. Schedule the brightest one for an interesting run through the park, along the beach or other interesting site. On that special night, it may be a great advantage to take a special date or spouse along for some romance and exercise together.
6. If your moonlight jog with a loved one is intended to last more than an hour or two, back-pack some bottled water, food, a couple of blankets and inflatable sleeping pads. Then, in addition to the moonlight exercise, and whatever happens under the blankets, you can greet the dawn with another vigorous jog as brilliant autumn daylight breaks.
6, Start your own neighborhood or workplace exercise group. Meet for scheduled dawn, twilight or lunchtime runs. It’ll offer great opportunities for getting to know your neighbors or co-workers while you share your love of healthful, vigorous autumn exercises.