Here’s a top ten list of movies to watch on a snow day or just a relaxing Saturday. Whether you are in the mood for an adventure, a comedy, or a sci-fi flick, this list has it all.
1. Home Alone – It’s a Christmas classic. Kevin gets left home alone. Chaos and adventure follows.
2. The Goonies – It’s every kid’s dream to find buried treasure. This adventure leads a band of kids into a world of pirates, treasure, and an ugly yet adorable goof named Sloth. Cozy up to this adventure classic.
3. Back to the Future Trilogy – What better way to start off your snow day than with Michael J. Fox traveling back and forward in time from the 1980’s. Watch your favorite one or grab all three for a time-traveling marathon.
4. Stranger Than Fiction – This delightful comedy starring Will Ferrell explores what it would be like to see the main character in a book developing under the apparent control of the narrator/writer. This movie is unique, it’s a classic, and it’s perfect movie for a snow day.
5. The ‘Burbs – Tom Hanks. A comedy that paints suburbia as the place where crazy people hide out. Tom Hanks thinks his neighbors are up to no good. But are his neighbors the crazy ones or his paranoia making his neighbors think he is the crazy one? Classic Tom Hanks flick!
6. Lord of the Rings Trilogy – Pick your favorite one of the trilogy, or spend the entire morning and afternoon in the world of Middle-Earth with Frodo, Sam, Gandalf and the rest of the Fellowship.
7. E.T. – Watch the adventures of a young boy who happens upon an alien who is trying to get home. A great family flick, and the classic heart-warming and wrenching at times sci-fi movie to watch on a snow day.
8. Forrest Gump – Tom Hanks again. All grown up…sort of. Forrest goes on an adventure that will grip your heart and make you laugh, all the while pursuing a romance with Jenny, a childhood friend who befriends him despite his…well, you’ll find out when you watch. “Like momma always said, Life is like a box of chocalates. You never know what you’re gonna get.”
9.Dumb & Dumber – If on your snow day you want to get a little dumber, then this movie is going to do the trick. Full of dumb humor, dumber situations, and featuring a cast that is convincingly winsome, this movie will not let you down on your snow day.
10. The Matrix Trilogy – If you are a sci-fi fan, then cozying up to Neo, Trinity, Morpheus and the rest of the players in this humanity vs. machine trilogy is your snow day drug. Three movies that dive into the depths of human survival, love, and an altogether unique and orignal trilogy.