Whimsical pillar candleholders can add a touch of charm to any bookcase, mantelpiece, or accent table with little effort. These sassy bright pink and black polka dot pillar candleholders are sure to catch the attention of your guests!
For this project, you will need (per pillar candleholder):
– One unfinished wooden pillar candleholder (available at craft supply stores)
– Medium or fine grit sandpaper sheets
– Tack cloth or other type of soft cloth
– Krylon Indoor Outdoor Primer in All-Purpose White
– Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in Watermelon
– Krylon Short Cuts Hobby and Craft Paint Pen in Gloss Black
– Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Finishing Spray
– Large coin, such as a quarter
– Craft knife
– Self healing mat
– Masking tape
– Pillar candle in a coordinating color (white, black, and pink all work well)
– Newsprint and/or a large sized drop cloth
To start, cover the area where you will be creating your pillar candleholder with several sheets of newsprint and/or a large sized drop cloth. Sand down the unfinished wooden pillar candleholder with sheets of medium or fine grit sandpaper. Remove any grit on the wood by wiping it down with a tack cloth or other style of soft cloth.
Prime the candleholder with an even coat of Krylon Indoor Outdoor Primer in All-Purpose White. Let the primed wood dry for a couple hours. Paint the pillar candleholder with four to five heavy coats of Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in Watermelon. Allow the pink paint to dry for three to four hours before proceeding.
Lay the cardstock flat on the self healing mat. Use a ruler and a pencil to divide the paper into two inch squares. Carefully cut out the squares with a craft knife. Place a quarter or other similar sized coin on one paper square. Trace around the outside of the coin in pencil. Cut out the circle shape from the paper and discard the cutout. Repeat this process to create templates for all polka dots you wish to add to the candleholder.
Attach the paper squares with circle holes in the center to the side of the pink painted candleholder using masking tape. Fill in the open circle areas using a Krylon Short Cuts Hobby and Craft Paint Pen in Gloss Black. Let the circles dry completely.
Spray the entire pillar candleholder with a thick coat of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Finishing Spray. Dry overnight. Add a pillar candle in a coordinating color, and enjoy your new design!