When purchasing brussels sprouts at your local Charlotte, NC farmers’ market, always choose sprouts that are firm, compact, and have a virbant green color. Avoid purchasing any that are soft or slightly puffy. Browning leaves can be easily discarded.
Why Brussels Sprouts?
- Detoxification– phytonutrients in Brussels sprouts aid detoxification in the body, by sending signals to human genes to begin the production of “detoxifying” enzymes.
- Cancer Prevention– eating Brussels sprouts has been linked to the protection against prostate, colorectal, and lung cancers.
- Skin Health– Brussels sprouts are high in vitamin C, which helps produce collagen, a protein found in flesh and tissues.
- Digestive Health– Brussels sprouts are high in fiber, which can help in promoting a healthy digestive tract, therefore also aiding in preventing digestive disease like diverticulosis and colon cancer.
- Arthritis Prevention- the high concentration of vitamin C, helps protect against Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- Fetal Health– Brussels sprouts contain a high amount of folic acid, important in the health and proper development of babies.