Dogs love to get into stuff, especially when they are playing outside. If your pooch finds an acorn on the ground, he may be inclined to eat it. Can dogs eat acorns though? Is it safe or should you worry? Here are some of the things that you should know about the dangers associated with dogs eating acorns.
Acorns can be Toxic to Dogs
A little known fact about acorns is that they can actually be toxic to dogs. This is because they contain gallotanins, which are a mix of gallic and tanic acid. Acorns have been known to poison dogs and small children. They can also be poisonous to adults, though usually not fatal. Ultimately, the best thing that you can do is keep your dog away from acorns whenever possible to prevent her from being poisoned.
Acorns Pose a Choking Hazard
Many dogs do not chew things that they eat thoroughly before swallowing them. Some acorns can be larger in size. If your dog does not break the acorn into pieces that are small enough, there is a chance that she may choke on the acorn. This is another one of the reasons to keep your dog away from acorns whenever you can.
Acorns May Cause Stomach or Intestine Obstructions
Another one of the risks associated with dogs eating acorns is stomach or intestine obstructions. Acorns may also cause obstructions to your pooch’s throat. This problem is more likely to affect dogs which are smaller in size. If your dog swallows a large acorn or large pieces of an acorn, there is a chance that this problem may affect him. Though it is likely that a vet will be able to treat this problem, your dog will suffer from a lot of pain. It is just one more reason to prevent your dog from eating acorns.
Ultimately, it is best to prevent your dog from eating acorns whenever possible. While these problems may not necessarily occur if your dog does chew on an acorn, it is important to be aware of them. If your dog becomes ill and experiences unusual symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea, the best thing that you can do is visit an emergency veterinarian hospital to make sure that acorns are not to blame. While these symptoms could be due to another illness, it is better to be safe than sorry. Be sure to let your vet know if your dog has swallowed or simply chewed on an acorn.
Dogchannel.com, “Acorns and Dogs Don’t Mix.”