Garlands are an easy decoration to dress up your home for the holidays, and can be used to add festivity to nearly every room in your house. From your fireplace mantle to the railing on your staircase, garlands are the perfect finishing touch for Christmas time. The Christmas cards that you receive from family and friends can easily become a centerpiece in your holiday decorating by incorporating them into a one-of-a-kind garland to commemorate the season.
To make a Christmas card garland you will need:
Several different types of Christmas themed wrapping paper or printed scrapbook paper
Thin Christmas themed craft ribbon
Small red, green, white and blue buttons
Hot glue gun
1. Cut a one foot section of each color of wrapping paper and lay them out face down on a flat surface. If you are using printed scrapbook paper instead, simply lay out the sheets of paper face down.
2. Use the glue stick to apply a generous coat of glue across the surface of one side of a clothespin. Press the glued side down firmly on the back of a piece of wrapping paper or printed scrapbook paper. Use your fingers to smooth out any wrinkles or creases in the paper.
3. Use the scissors to trim the paper around the clothespin.
4. Repeat steps two and three until all of the clothespins have been covered with the Christmas themed paper. Try to mix and match the papers so that you have a wide selection of clothespins decorated with different prints and patterns.
5. Heat up the hot glue gun. When the gun has heated, apply a small dab of glue to the top of each clothespin. While the glue is still tacky, quickly press a button down on top of it. The color of the bottom should match the colors of the paper on the clothespin.
6. Cut a strip of Christmas themed ribbon that is long enough to stretch across the surface you want to decorate with the garland. Tack the ribbon up at each end so that it is hung securely.
7. Arrange the clothespins on the ribbon by simply opening them up and clipping them onto the ribbon. Make sure that clothespins are all hung with equal distance between them.
8. As Christmas cards arrive, add them onto the garland by hanging them up using the clothespins. The cards will hang attractively and will be complemented by the decorative clothespins and Christmas themed ribbon.