Here is a delicious quick bread for Thanksgiving morning. It is just enough to settle hungry stomachs until the big feast and perfect with a warm cup of coffee.
Cranberry-Orange Quick Bread
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 1/2 fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat the inside of a 9 x 5 loaf pan with baking spray.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl.
3. Cream together butter and brown sugar in another large mixing bowl until fluffy.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until smooth. Scraping the sides of the bowl as you go.
5. Stir in milk, orange juice, and zest.
6. Stir in flour mixture until just combined.
7. Fold in cranberries and nuts, if desired.
8. Scrape batter into loaf pan and bake until it is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean, 50-55 minutes.
9. Let bread cool in the pan for 5 minutes or so and then invert on a wire rack to cool completely.
This bread is delicious hot from the oven on Thanksgiving morning or toasted the next day. You can also freeze individual slices if you actually have some left over.
Adapted from Mom’s Big Book of Baking by Lauren Chattman