After Monday night’s Dancing with the Stars season 11 Rock week performance show, R&B singer Brandy Norwood ruled the roost by dominating both the individual routine and dance marathon rounds. But which celebs in DWTS history truly reign, having left their marks in the minds of dance fans everywhere? Here’s a look at the top 10 Dancing with the Stars routines ever, as voted on by the public and revealed by co-hosts Tom Bergeron and Brooke Burke on October 25.
10. Shawn Johnson and Mark Ballas, Season 8, Freestyle – Do Your Thing. The season 8 champs put on quite a show for their freestyle, flipping and flopping and flouncing everywhere like two hyperspastic (and very talented) bunnies. It’s as if Shawn were a gymnast! Oh wait….
9. Donnie Osmond and Kym Johnson, Season 9, Argentine Tango – Tango a Pugliese. Okay, so the iconic entertainer probably won his season of DWTS because of his last name, but you have to admit it: This was one surprisingly smokin’ dance for Donnie and his much-younger partner.
8. Helio Castroneves and Julianne Hough, Season 5, Quickstep – Hey Pachuco. If ever you wonder how to describe DWTS to someone who’s never seen the show, just find a clip of this one and play it. A racecar driver bouncing around in a banana-colored suit with his perky blonde partner.
7. Apolo Ohno and Julianne Hough, Season 4, Freestyle – Bust a Move. This is the routine that solidifed the Olympic short track skater as a legitimate dancer. The boy can move, and check out the awesome breakdancing sequences, too.
6. Joanna Krupa and Derek Hough, Season 9, Paso Doble – Living on Video. The model and the perennial pro contender’s futuristic offering is one of the most bizarre dances I’ve ever seen on DWTS, but it’s also one of the most creative, from the weird make-up to the even weirder lighting.
5. Mel B and Maksim Chmerkovskiy, Season 5, Paso Doble – Free Your Mind. Although Maks is typically soundly in charge of his partners, Scary Spice whipped him into shape during her turn as a self-confident dominatrix during their uber-emotionally charged Paso.
4. Nicole Scherzinger and Derek Hough, Season 10, Paso Doble – Spanish Guitar. I didn’t love the Pussycat Doll, so I’m not sure I’d have selected this one, but I can appreciate good quality and technique and it has both. In spades.
3. Apolo Ohno and Julianne Hough, Season 4, Samba – I Like to Move It. Ah, yet another reason that Apolo is the man: He appears more than once on the top 10 list, even though there were thousands of dances from which to choose the favorites. I can still see his hips a’shakin’ and Julianne’s crazy-bordering-on-scary costume. Good stuff.
2. Gilles Marini and Cheryl Burke, Season 8, Argentine Tango – Assassin’s Tango. The suave actor and his partner were smoldering all season long. Although my personal sensibilities prefer their Kryptonite Quickstep, this one oozes so much raw sex appeal that it’s hard not to appreciate the acting each brought to the routine. Is it warm in here?
1. Drew Lachey and Cheryl Burke, Season 2, Freestyle – Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy. What can I say? I love this dance. I loved it when they busted out with it for the first time at the close of season 2, and it still makes me whoop and holler today. It’s pure fun from two great performers.
So there you have it: The top 10 Dancing with the Stars dances of all time, as of October 2010. Did your favorite make the list?
Dancing with the Stars season 11 week 6, October 25, 2010, ABC