Donuts get wet, runny and sticky from sweating. The donut dough can get wet and runny on the bottom when it doesn’t on top from sitting. Donuts can start to sweat the same day you get them home. Unless you can stand a wet donut it may have to be eaten almost as soon as you get it. The below measures are steps you can do to delay the sweating.
1. Put donuts in the refrigerator to keep them cool instead of hot.
2. Put donuts in the freezer. You will have to let the donuts thaw out before eating.
3. Ice them up. Put donuts in an ice chest. Put ice in ice chest and sit donuts on top after putting the donuts in a plastic container. This will keep the ice from wetting the donuts. Close the lid to keep the cold in.
4. Sprinkle baking soda around the donuts but not on them to absorb wetness. Donuts may taste like baking soda.
5. Separate and spread donuts out immediately. Sit them on a small rack and cover the rack or sit the rack in the donut box if it is small enough. This allows air to reach the bottom of the donuts for ventilation. Separating and spreading donuts on plastic sheets or foil and putting them back in the donut box or covering the donuts won’t ventilate the bottom of the donuts.
6. Sit the box or bag of donuts near a fan or the air conditioner to keep the donuts cool.
7. Avoid sitting the box or bag of donuts on your lap.
8. Avoid placing donuts in a plastic bag. Plastic bags can make donuts sweat. Multiple donuts in a plastic bag may tend to sweat more rapidly then an individual donut since the donuts may be touching or on top of one another where there isn’t good ventilation.
9. Powder sugar donuts as necessary. Sprinkle powdered sugars or sugar substitute over sweating donuts.
10. Use “store bought” or make your own icing and spread over donuts.
11. Open the box or bag and let the donuts breathe. Flip the donuts over to let them air on the other side. Air can dry out donuts. It can also harden them.
12. Purchase the amount of donuts that you want to eat in the moment so that they don’t have time to sweat.
13. Eat right off.
Fresh or older donuts can sweat.