This recipe is perfect for a fall weekend and kids will enjoy scooping their serving directly from the pumpkin. Choose your pumpkin carefully, though. A smaller “pie pumpkin” is preferable to one that is jack-o-lantern size. A large pumpkin just may not fit into your oven!
The filling has a bit of sweetness due to the addition of brown sugar and soy sauce. This sweetness is a perfect match for the taste of the pumpkin.
And now for the recipe!
1. Cut top off of pumpkin and set aside.
2. Clean seeds and pulp from 1 small to medium size pumpkin. (Pie pumpkin is recommended)
3. Decorate the pumpkin with a face drawn on with permanent marker or acrylic paint.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 ½ – 2 lbs. ground beef
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 4 oz. can mushrooms
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 ½ c. cooked rice
- 1 8 oz. can sliced water chestnuts.
6. Simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Spoon mixture into clean pumpkin.
8. Place top on pumpkin.
9. Place on cookie sheet.
10. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Serve this yummy main dish directly from the pumpkin!