Poaching an egg is one of the healthiest ways to cook an egg, due to skipping the use of butter, oil, or any additional fats. Poaching has gotten a bad rap for being difficult, and when done correctly, can be fairly easy.
Easy steps to poaching an egg
1. Fill a saucepan 2/3 full of water and bring to a boil.
2. Turn down heat. Make sure the bubbles have stopped. Dropping egg in boiling water will make them tough….and pretty gross too.
3. For every gallon of water (approximately) add a tablespoon of white vinegar. If you only have red or balsamic, that’s fine too, but you may end up with a pinkish egg.
4. Crack egg in small bowl. Discard shell.
5. Spin the water with a spoon. Slowly drop egg in the water while moving the bowl with the water movement.
6. Cook 3-4 minutes. Less for a soft poach.
7. Ladle out with slotted spoon. Transfer to plate.