Lesson Plan; Bullying
Goal; To make elementary students aware of bullying and intimidating tactics and how to deal with it.
1. Students will be able to identify bullying tactics.
2. Students will know how to handle themselves in a bullying or intimidation situation.
3. Students will know where to go for assistance, when in a bullying or intimidation situation.
4. Students will know what the consequences are for bullying.
Accommodations for Accelerated or Gifted Students
1. Have these students work in groups to come up with ideas on how to deal with a bully as a group.
2. Have these students present their ideas to the whole class for consideration.
Accommodations for Special Needs Students
1. Have these students be able to identify, when a person or group is trying to take advantage of them.
2. Have these students know where to go for assistance, when presented with this type of behavior.
3. Have these students share these ideas with the class.
Standards (State and Federal)
1. Research and understand the standards, that are set down on bullying and intimidation by both the State and Federal Government.
2. Make all students aware of the standards that are set down. “Bullying will not be tolerated.”
Define Bullying for all Students
Students need to be able to identify physical, verbal and non-verbal intimidation tactics. Have students do a small skit that shows how all three of the above can be used as bullying. This way all students will be to identify what really is bullying. After the skit, ask students to identify what they witnessed. Use a detailed discussion about each of these three. Try to find out why a person wants to be a bully.
How to deal with bullying tactics
Have the students break off into groups and discuss how to handle the situations, that they viewed the day before. Each group will have a communicator that will explain what their group came up with. Groups must take notes on what each group presents.
What are the consequences for bullying?
Have a Police Officer, Dean of students, Principal, Lawyer or guest speaker talk about the individual consequences for all parties involved. Look at it from both sides. You want to see how bullying affects victims, as well as the consequences for the violator.
The Wrap up and Review
Have each student briefly explain what they learned about bullying and intimidation tactics. This can be anything from identification to consequences. Have students write a brief essay, on what they would do, if they find themselves in a bullying situation.
Final Point; Any form of identifiable bullying will be dealt with swiftly by all concerned.