Since we all write more emails than we do real letters, we all should remember the basic no-no’s we all should avoid. These include:
• Reading other people’s emails. It doesn’t matter if your husband has left open his personal account while he went to get a drink of water. It is just plain rude of you to read it, no matter how tempted you are. The exception to this rule is it is your child’s account and you think he/she may be getting into trouble.
• Reading emails while you are with other people (in a social situation). Yes, this also includes texting, IMing and evening checking your PDA. The only exception to the rule if you are checking messages from your children. This very common habit is plain rude.
• Forward political rants or even religious rants on to others. You don’t always know what their views are on a current topic or trend. It is best just not to get into such matters. You may think you can covert someone onto your side of an issue or topic and in fact may just cause you to lose friends.
• Send racy or off colored emails through your business account. It doesn’t matter if you are just sending a joke to a co-worker who happens to be a friend. Don’t send it through a business account. In fact, you shouldn’t be reading jokes while you are at work in the first place. If you want to share jokes with co-workers who are friends, get their personal email account information and do it on your personal time.
• Adding cute emoticions into emails that you are sending at works. It looks unprofessional.
• Adding cute fonts, colors or wallpapers onto business emails. Again, they look unprofessional.
• Using all caps in an email. The general rule of thumb is that this means you are shouting, which would be considered a rude act
Remember these basic email no-no’s and you will be a better employee, a better partner and a better friend.