Unfortunately, too many adult members of the big screen TV generation are just not moving away from the couch. They’re too lazy or too hypnotized to get up and get out of the house to enjoy the great fun autumn activities waiting for them. They would rather watch so-called reality shows instead of living real lives.
Now that autumn is here, it’s difficult to believe that so many healthy adults will sit through this glorious season while preferring to watch TV. They don’t realize nor care that at least half of what flashes on their screens are infomercials, commercials, political hate ads and fund-raisers. What is supposed to be entertainment now includes features no-talent contests, grossly overpaid pro jocks in action, talkathons, reruns, all with a few moments of biased propaganda news wedged in.
What today’s adults should realize is that there are many fun activities there, if they could just turn off the TV off button and go outdoors. Some of the many autumn activities waiting for them are:
1. Ice and roller skating: Remember the olden days before giant TV and endless sports channels? People actually went out to the local pond or ice skating rink and had fun going around with each other? Try it with someone you love or want to love, and you’ll find it much more stimulating than watching the umpteenth run of “I Love Lucy.”
2. Some outdoor activities for one: Try biking, jogging and hiking. If you’re looking for solitary exercise, these can do it for you while you can admire the brisk autumn air and surrounding colors of the trees. Of course, it could be even more stimulating and fun if you paired up with a loved one to accompany you on these outdoor activities.
3. Other fun you can have with the old gang: Set up games of pick-up volleyball, hockey, touch football, softball and other autumn outdoor group activities. It’ll be great seeing the friends again, and fun trying and failing to run and jump as well as you once could. A break in the activities for some cider or other autumn brews can help increase the happy mood.
4. How about a hayride: Look on the internet to find one already scheduled nearby, or organize your own. There’s not much exercise required for this autumn activity unless, especially on a moonlight ride, you happen to get lucky in the back of the hay wagon.
5. Maybe not so fun, but very satisfying: Get together with a bunch of friends and go fruit or vegetable picking at a nearby farm. Pay for and then gather up all you’ve reaped, then take it all to a homeless shelter or place for battered mothers and kids to enjoy.
Fun outdoor fall activities for adults can involve a number of activities. All you need to do is turn off the TV, rise up from your couch and enjoy the glorious benefits of autumn.