Facts about the Climate in Dubai
Dubai is a desert area and has high temperatures year round. These range from 70°F to 110°F. The hottest months are July and August and the coolest are January and February. Dubai has a low rainfall of a couple of inches per year.
Transport in Dubai
The main form of transport for visitors to Dubai is taxis. There are a number of companies that operate taxi fleets at reasonable rates. They are all air-conditioned and the drivers are normally fluent in English.
Shopping in Dubai
Dubai is renowned for its shopping and this ranges from exclusive malls to small market-type shops to the Gold Souk (market). Electronics, clothing, perfume and branded goods abound and some real bargains can be found.
There is a huge gold market in Dubai and the Gold Souk consists of dozens of tiny stores with windows full of gold jewelry. Prices are reasonable and the area hums with activity.
Because of the heat, most stores close between 1pm and 4pm and stay open until late at night. The culture of Dubai is different to western culture and women are not permitted to wear shorts or skimpy tops in the city areas. The taking of photos of locals is also prohibited – especially of the women.
Tourist Attractions in Dubai
Dubai grew out of a fishing village and is divided into the old and new sections by the Dubai Creek. There are many attractions for tourists including the following:
• Cruises on the Dubai Creek
• The Dubai museum traces the history of Dubai and houses some fascinating exhibits
• Dubai Zoo is home to a wide range of animals. Giant fans in the cages help to keep them cool during the excessively hot days in summer
• Ski Dubai is an indoor ski center that offers five levels of difficulty. The entrance fee includes ski clothing and equipment
• The Burj Al Arab Hotel is a famous land mark in Dubai and tourists enjoy getting as close as they can
• Desert safaris take visitors on a trip through the desert to small villages and camel and goat farms
• Some of the beaches in Dubai has been planted with palm trees and the water is warm. Tourists enjoy the water but it should be avoided during the midday heat
• The Wild Wadi Water Theme Park offers 23 wild water rides and covers an area of 12 acres
Dubai is a fascinating place for a holiday or a shopping trip and has much to offer tourists. The shopping is world-famous and the sights and sounds give a glimpse into a different culture and world. While some rules may differ to western countries, it is possible to have a wonderful holiday in Dubai.
Dubai tourism brochures