Besides being on top of your job, an employee has to be aware of awkward moments, that can present themselves in the workplace or office. Awkard moments can lead to embarrasment and job loss. This article will examine five of them.
1. Limit personal phone calls and text messages. Text messaging has become a new form of communication. It is easy to get so wrapped up in personal text messaging, that you neglect your work. Text messages are more private than be heard on a cellphone discussing personal issues. Never argue with your spouse, using either one of these methods. The last thing you want is for other workers to discover what you are doing.
2. Avoid sexual harassment issues. This includes flirting with other employees, making jokingly lewd remarks, dirty jokes, passes at the opposite sex and foul language. The workplace is the last place to have a sexual harassment event take place. Workers need to be on guard for any type of harassment that presents itself.
3. Plagiarism and false credit for work. It is very easy for individuals to claim false credit in today’s workplace. It is very important that credit is always given where it is justified. An individual that takes sole credit for someones work, is destroying their creditability. Copying others work is a form of plagiarism. Never take credit for another’s work.
4. Never take on a work load that you are unprepared for. Stay within your discipline or field of expertise. You can cost your company lots of money by making mistakes. It could cost you your job. If you do go into an unsure area, make sure that you have permission from your supervisor to do so.
5. Account for all funds in your budget. One of the easiest ways to get into trouble is the misuse and abuse of monies you are entrusted with. It is very easy to maneuver money so that it can be of advantage to you. As they say in a lot of police movies, “Follow the money.” A good example of misuse of money is using your work credit card or account to meet your wife for lunch. Another example is if you buy a tool for the job and keep it.
This is why it is so important to have a ledger. An updated ledger accounts where you use the money provided to operate at your job. It might also help, to make a small notation of what the money went for. This is important for maintaining the integrity of you job and character.
The five awkward moments above can get any person into trouble. However, handling these moments, can also showcase your personal character as an individual to your bosses and fellow co-workers.