Now in its sophomore season the CBS show “The Good Wife” keeps on getting better and more interesting. This drama surrounding Alicia Florrick, played by Julianna Marguiles as she goes back to work at a Chicago law firm after her husband played by Chris Noth goes to jail because of a political scandal. The series is well written and each week we learn a little more about the characters and enjoy interesting legal cases. Here are five of the many reasons to put “The Good Wife” on your must see TV list.
1) Strong Cast – Many times when you have a large ensemble cast on a television show you will have maybe one or two great actors and the rest is just okay. The cast of “The Good Wife” is amazing, there are many accomplished actors, and some not so well known extremely talented ones. Another unusual thing about their cast is they have many strong female characters. There is Julianna Marguiles who has already won Golden Globe and SAG award for the show. Archie Panjabi who won a Emmy, also Christine Baranski, Chris Noth, Josh Charles, Mary Beth Peil, Gary Cole and Eli Gould.
2) Interesting Story Lines – Even though the show is about politicians and lawyers they do not spend the entire hour in a courtroom, or boring you will legal and technical terms. The appeal of the show is the glimpse into each characters personal lives and learning about them. The personal and professional story lines on the series are blended together without one overshadowing the other.
3) Kahlinda – Enough Said! – The character Kahlinda on “The Good Wife” has to be one of the most interesting, complex characters on a television series in a long time. Archie Panjabi is astounding at conveying her personality and nuances. She is such a contradiction, sometimes she is empathetic and helpful and other times a bad ass. She keeps her past and personal life very secretive and hides what she is felling and thinking well, even when confronting someone she does not show her weaknesses. And on top of all that she gets to wear some of the coolest clothes each week!
4) Great Smack downs – If you watch you will get to see some old fashioned ass whooping’ every once in a while. It is fun to see the characters give as good as they get sometimes. Some of my favorites smack downs during a deposition when Cary is grilling Alicia and he gets out of line Will steps in and offers him his ass on a plate. He really knocked the smug look right off his face. Seeing Alicia beat Nancy, the little miss goody-two shoes lawyer, at her own game in the courtroom was priceless. The most memorable smack down is Kahlinda taking a baseball bat to Blake’s car to send him a message and then getting right up in his face going toe to toe with him afterwards.
5) Not All Good Guys Versus Bad Guys – Many legal dramas fall into the trap of making some characters saints and some totally evil, with no room for change or growth. The fact that this show does portray the characters as these people are good guys and these are the bad guys. Like real life everyone has some good and bad characteristics, everyone is human and makes mistakes. It portrays the struggles people have on a daily basis that we all identify with. It shows that everything in life is not so clear cut. We have black and white but we also have gray areas, “The Good Wife” shows us how these people handle ethical dilemmas at home and at work.
“The Good Wife” airs Tuesday nights 10 pm ET.