As parents we must take control if our children do not want to exercise, if the mode of this younger generation is to hide away in our homes. There is an endless list of activities for families to do to stay in shape. The key is to make your kids have fun while getting in shape.
Here is a list of fun activities to be physical, but also to spend time with your children.
1. Hiking – This is one of our favorites. By hiking through an area we can see many amazing things in nature or our urban landscape, there is beauty to be seen everywhere. If you take your time you can see animals, places, events that many people will never see. All that is needed is some good footwear.
2. Biking – We like to take a nice ride and see an area while exercising. You can view a much larger area than if you hiked, which many people like. The family can stay in shape by biking several times a week, everyone could take turns choosing the bike route to keep the activity fun for everyone.
3. Jogging – If you would like to step up the level of exercising, than jogging may be right for your family. Everyone can compete in races, trying to get the best time each event. On any day you and your children can jog through parks, woods, cities, just about anywhere. This variety and the level of exercise makes this an enjoyable activity.
4. Physical fitness night – The entire family can participate in a variety of physical activities. You can compete at sit ups, push ups, long jumps, vertical jumps, sprints, just about whatever you can think of. See who is the most flexible by who can stretch the farthest. This all can be done to fun music. You can chart everyone’s progress to keep it exciting and competitive.
5. Planting trees – This might sound like an odd activity, but recently my son and I volunteered our Saturday doing this and we had a great time. At a local park a group was planting trees and clearing brush on a creek embankment and they needed help. The work was very physical as we worked over a large area and had to carry the trees and tools. My son did not complain because it was such a different thing to do and he didn’t even realize he was exercising. Look at local postings, websites and fliers for information in your area. We enjoyed it so much that we will be doing this on a regular basis.
With the cool weather of the fall, families should get out and enjoy each other and exercise. The key is to find an activity that everyone enjoys, which from my experience is hard to do. But when you do find those activities, you should enjoy them and stay fit.