The television show Glee airs Tuesdays at 8 pm ET on Fox. Since its debut, Glee has gained a strong national audience of loyal Glee fans, otherwise known as “Gleeks”. Here is a list of little known facts about the cast of Glee.
1) Jane Lynch plays Sue Sylvester a cheerleading coach with wit and sarcasm, a leading role in Glee. Glee fans and foes alike would agree the show would be much different without her presence. It could have been. According to Lynch, she was scheduled to perform only as a guest star in the series, for the pilot and first few episodes.
2) When in real life do people happen to just break into song, as in Glee? On the Glee set, of course. The cast set up and decorated their own club on set. Cory Monteith told OK! Magazine, “We sit around and sign songs – that’s how some of the songs featured on the show have been written in.”
3) Though the television show Glee features a high school glee club, the actor’s are far removed from high school. If you thought that the cast looked a little mature for their depicted age, you’re correct. Many of the glee actors are closer to 30 than they are 18! Mark Wayne Salling and Cory Allan Monteith who play Noah “Puck” Puckerman and Finn Hudson, respectively were both born in 1982 making them 28. Fresh faced star Chris Colfer who plays Kurt Hummel is one of the youngest cast members, being born in 1990.
4) Besides his age songbird and lead character Cory Allan Monteith has another reason making it hard to relate to his character Finn Hudson. Monteith had a very brief high school career. Deciding at an early age that school was not for him, he dropped out during his first year. Thinking he moved to Los Angeles to follow his acting dream? Not so fast. Monteith did not consider acting until years later, after a string of odd jobs and need for cash. He told E!, ” “I was working as a roofer and taxi driver in some backwater town and I was at loose ends and somebody said, ‘You should be an actor!’
4) Amber Patrice Riley who plays Mercedes Jones on Glee is known for her strong vocals and has performed many solos on the show. Before being Cast on Glee though, Riley was turned away from another popular television show on the FOX network. Riley auditioned for American Idol at age 17 and the producers did not even give her a chance to audition in front of the judges.
Jane Lynch Talks ‘Glee’ Secrets
Seven Secrets from the Set of ‘Glee’
Fans gleek out for ‘Showmance’ episode of ‘Glee’
Glee’s Cory Monteith: High School Dropout to Hollywood Star
‘Glee’ Star Amber Riley On ‘Idol’ Rejection: ‘I Still Work On FOX And Get Paid’