“Grey’s Anatomy” Season 7 Episode 7 delivered a very unlucky shocker: Christina Yang quit. Let me give you a few moments to gather your composure.
It is with hope and optimism for the producers’ intelligence that fans believe that Christina Yang will stay on the show. If you’re wondering what miracle the producers might have cooking up their sleeves, let’s just dive right in and I’ll tell you… in just one sec.
It was no big fat shocker that Callie and Arizona broke up. Callie is still slightly uncomfortable being a lesbian and, bless her heart, she just tries really hard to like it. She and Mark may get together again as BFF’s with benefits, but some fans believe the show will launch a brand new theme for Callie’s character. Sadly, we will miss Arizona’s shininess, her roller sneakers, and the adorable way she says “little people”. Maybe Callie will throw herself into her work and, if Owen quits, she could take his grant money and do something awesome. Do you see how the evil plot thickens about Christina? Let’s discuss.
Christina has been moping around with a blank and slightly tortured look on her face for weeks. Quite frankly, fans are bored with it. Christina Yang needs to rise again and here’s exactly how it needs to go down in just one word: Burke.
Here are the top five reasons why Christina needs Burke back on the show:
1. It’s possible. Unlike Izzy’s Denny, Burke is not dead. Thus, it is physically possible to actually cause him to show up on the ER doorstep … or something equally juicy and wonderful.
2. Bring on the Brilliance. Christina has always been at her finest when she is challenged by a brilliant surgeon-lover-dude. First it was her old professor, Dr. Marlow, who said that Christina was brilliant and challenged her not to lower her standards to mesh with Burke. Next, it was Burke who made Christina’s eyes shine with visions of surgical grandeur. She even risked her career and teamed up with Burke secretly to cover for him when he suffered from a hand trembling problem caused by him being shot during Season 2. Lastly, she fell in tepid “like” with Owen, a rugged trauma surgeon fresh from the military. Owen challenged her as a surgeonand pursued her aggressively until, in a vulnerable moment after the shooting in Season 6, Christina agreed to marry him – hoping it will make her feel better.
3. No one else on earth. Despite Christina’s tough demeanor, she has not yet found anyone except Meredith who she loves as an equal. While Burke may not be her ultimate end-all and husband, he is likely the only person who can give her closure, help her heal, and encourage her to move forward with her life.
4. Meredith is already taken. Consider this: Meredith and Christina are like two “dark and twisty” love children who still share a mysterious umbilical cord. If Meredith and Christina were lesbian, their problem would be solved, case closed. They are not (yet), however; so the show must go on and the only other person we know of who can even come close to having the right connection with Christina is Burke.
5. George is gone. If you missed the big hoopla about what Burke said to George off camera (I refer to them as their character names because, quite frankly, I don’t care who they are in real life), you didn’t miss much. When “Grey’s Anatomy” started to get really popular, the actors who played Izzy, George, and Burke, began to think they should get paid a ton more and wanted more interesting lines for their characters. Honestly, if any normal person was on that show regularly she would be happy to be the “blonde girl chewing gum and answering the phone in dermatology”. It’s good that all the whinies are gone, except Burke. Burke and George had some random heated feud about George being gay. The only person who really cared about their little tiff was them, so Burke could realistically come back and get some press (in real life) for the show and George isn’t there to make a fuss and stomp off the set.
“Grey’s Anatomy” airs on ABC Thursdays at 9/8c. Happy watching!