With its release just a few days ago, Halo Reach has become one the most popular games on Xbox Live with millions of gamers logged on to multi-player. Some gamers have transitioned very well from Halo 3 and are dominating the scoreboards while others not so much. Instead of pouring a ton of hours into the game trying to get better, here are a few helpful tips that may help up your game.
1) Familiarize yourself with the new armor abilities. Know what armor abilities are good for each game type and which ones not to use. Personally i like to use sprint for all game types, and especially capture the flag. The jet pack is essential when playing multistory maps such as Sword Base. Invisibility is a nice asset to have, but it makes everyone’s radar jam so they know you are near and are usually ready for a blurry figure to pop up on the screen. Armor Lock is in my opinion the least useful ability because people tend to wait until the lock stops and just lob grenades at you.
2) Learn to use the DMR (designated marksman rifle). This weapon has replaced the BR from Halo 3 and requires even more precision to get a kill. The DMR is present in lots of game types, so you should memorize where they spawn on the different maps. Since the DMR gets less accurate the faster you shoot it, use the four and one rule. Four quick shots to the chest will kill and enemies shield, then wait a good second for the bloom of the reticule to die down in order to get that head shot for the kill.
3) Learn the new shield and health system. Halo Reach has moved its shield system back to the original Halo style where you must take out the shield and then kill the player’s health. This is important because there are health packs spread out around the map that you should utilize every time your health bar is low. They might save your life when you get into the next firefight.
4) Realize that the melee system has been revamped. In Halo 3 it took two melee attacks to kill an opponent, but not so in Halo Reach. An important thing to know is that in the new game, if your opponent only has even a sliver of shield left and you hit him, the damage will not carry over into his health bar. This means that you should always wait until his shields have popped and go in for the beat down.
5) Just like in Halo 3, you must learn where the power weapons spawn on each map; in the right hands, weapons such as the gravity hammer, sniper, and rocket launcher can easily change the tide of battle.
6) Use the pistol! This is just my personal preference, but I have seen that very few people use their sidearm. The pistol in Reach is more powerful than the one in Halo 3 and even has a scope. It is so power that only 4-5 shots can take out a shield. The pistol is a great long range weapon and should not be ignored.
Follow these tips and you should see yourself rising on the scoreboard in no time.