The tenth and final mission of Halo: Reah is “The Pillar of Autumn.” Unfortunately, this mission is extremely tough to complete on Legendary difficulty by yourself. In fact, most people haven’t been able to do so as the Legendary Campaign completion achievement is one of the least obtained achievements for the entire game. This mission is incredibly tough in certain parts because of so many different factors, including:
* Running out of ammunition
* Losing Emile if he gets knocked off the map
* Playing the final section of the game without any other non-player characters
* High enemy numbers and enemies with high amounts of health
Walkthrough Pt. 1
During the beginning of the mission, you’ll find yourself on the top of a cliff. You’ll find a few grunts with an elite below you after running a short distance from the mission start point. Just ahead, there are a few more patches of enemies, including a couple elites, some grunts, and a few jackals. This battle can be shortened a little bit. Fortunately, you have a few options to get through these enemies. Some of them are riskier than others, but most people want to just get through this level rather than go through it without dying.
1) If you sprint off the cliff and jump, you can assassinate the elite from the air, giving you an easier battle with the grunts and jackals. The next patch of enemies will be a little more difficult to handle, but you can let Emile take care of everything while you sit back and pick off enemies.
2) Take out as many enemies from the top of the cliff as possible. When they’re cleared out, then you can proceed down the cliff and fight through the enemies. Also, you can let Emile engage the enemies and run straight to the mongoose. There’s a rocket launcher on the ground by the dead marine too.
Either way, you’ll find yourself driving a mongoose with Emile tagging along at your back. It’s best to simple drive straight through everything for this part of the mission because the Scarabs and grunts will give you some trouble if you crash the mongoose. Eventually, you will jump the broken bridge and find yourself at a small weapons cache. Grab a DMR, heal if necessary, and pick up the hologram projector.
This part will take a little bit of time. Slowly, walk through the back of the building and pick off the three jackal snipers on top of the floating platform. Be wary of the wraith shooting at you too. Emile will have gone to the left of the building, so join up with him and slowly pick off as many enemies as you can among the jackals and brutes. Eventually, you and Emile will be able to take care of every enemy but the wraith. You should have grabbed the rocket launcher from the start of the level, so take it out and blast the wraith until it explodes. Take out the group of grunts and skirmishers. From there, simply run forward and watch the scene.
As you regain control and start to run forward, you’ll run into a cave-like area. Unfortunately, there are a ton of drones here that will be pretty annoying to kill. Pick them off when you can, but Emile won’t be too much help because he never uses any weapon that isn’t his shotgun. Here, there are two sections of drones with some skirmishers toward the end of the cave. At the end of the cave, you’ll find a few weapons, including a grenade launcher and a Spartan laser. Neither of them will be very useful, however; you can take whatever weapons you prefer.
For this next section, there are plenty of elites with some jackals and skirmishers. You’ll want to pick them off with a DMR or needle rifle because they’re nearly impossible to fight up close. It’s best to let Emile take care of as many elites as he can, but he tends to get blown off the side of the map during this section if you rely solely on him. Also, you can attempt to sprint through to the checkpoint on the other side, but this is extremely difficult to pull off.
Once you reach the checkpoint, you can travel on the ground or climb the stairs into the structure. You’ll want to go up top because a sniper rifle and a Spartan laser await you. Pick off the turrets and the ghosts and then focus on the groups of grunts. Afterward, you’ll advance into another building and fight a handful of elites. One of the most annoying parts of this level awaits you because you’ll find yourself fighting three elites that love to jump out of the building to recover their shields. Emile might be able to take them all out, but this could take as long as half an hour. Anyways, move into the next section when you can.
You’ll find yourself fighting some skirmishers and two hunters. Right away, kill the skirmishers. You can either fight the hunters with Emile or run to the locked door and break out the window. From there, you can jump and crouch through the window to skip this battle. In the next area, there are jackals and snipers along with an invisible sword elite. Be prepared for the elite because he’ll cut you up pretty quickly if you don’t see him. Finish up the enemies in this area and continue through the map.
Walkthrough Pt. 2
At this point, Emile will leave you to mount the mass driver. You won’t be completely alone though because a group of marines will be dropped in to assist you. Unfortunately, they won’t be much help to you. You’ll find yourself facing plenty of brutes, jackals, and grunts. After plenty of waves of enemies, you’ll hand off Cortana, Emile will die, and you’ll have to make your way to the mass driver to take out the Covenant ship. This next part is exceptionally difficult.
Right away, there will be a group of grunts and an elite waiting for you. Take them all out and slowly proceed into the building. Run forward and look to the left and up in time to see an engineer floating away. Quickly, shoot it down to drop the overshields from your foes. Run back out the building and pick up a plasma pistol. This part will take a few tries because the elites in this room have a fuel rod cannon, a sword, and other nice weapons. Therefore, you’ll need a little bit of luck too.
Plasma pistol the elites and kill them. Unfortunately, some of them will take two plasma rounds and a melee shot to go down. This is perhaps one of the most annoying points during the Legendary campaign. After the elites are dead, head to the mass driver and get into it. You’ll need to take out the oncoming phantoms and banshees before you can fire on the main Covenant ship. They might be easy to kill, but they’ll take you out quickly if you miss or take out the wrong ship. Therefore, this part will take a few tries, and you’ll have to memorize their pattern, which never changes. When you take out just over a dozen enemies, you’ll be able to fire on the main ship and complete this mission. It was rough right?
This mission is no cake walk, so you’ll have to go into it with caution and good aim. “The Pillar of Autumn” can be completed on Legendary by yourself. Unfortunately, it takes a lot of time and reverting to the previous save to get through this level. Some parts of this mission are grueling, so you’ll want to plan them out accordingly. There aren’t many battles that can be skipped during this level, but you can rely on Emile to take out many of them. Without a doubt, the final part of this mission is extremely difficult because you are completely on your own without any non-player characters to back you up. If you can beat this level, then you’ll have finished the final Halo: Reach campaign mission. Congratulations!
Tips and Hints
* The plasma pistol will be your best friend throughout this mission because most elites will go down after a plasma shot and a melee attack. Unfortunately, the final few enemies will take two plasma rounds and a melee round, so keep that in mind.
* For 75% of this level, you can rely on Emile to kill all of the enemies. This method doesn’t always work, however, because he can get blown off the side of the map, leaving you on your own. Using Emile to kill everything is also an extremely slow process, but it does work for people who aren’t very good at the Legendary difficulty.
* In the final part of the mission, memorize where every phantom and banshee comes from because the pattern does not change. This will allow you to get the jump on them so that they don’t kill you repeatedly. Shoot the main ship as soon as it appears so that you don’t die.
* Just before the mass driver section, the group of elites awaits you. Take out the engineer as soon as possible or you’ll never get passed this section of the level. The engineer is inside the building to the left and floating in the air. Use whatever weapon you can to get rid of it.
* For the section with all of the brutes, your best bet is to hide in the center building and shoot them in the head as they come through the door. You can’t fight them head on, but you can fight them cautiously and effectively from inside that building.