Have you ever been making a recipe that calls for an ingredient or gadget that you do not have on hand? Check out the following tips and shortcuts that may help you out when you are in a bind:
1. Tube pan?
Empty a clean metal food can and place it in the center of a deep cake pan…fill the can with beans.
2. Salad spinner?
Place your wet salad in a pillow case and shake.
Put flour into a salt shaker and use it to flour a pan.
4. Nuts are sticking together in the food processor.
Fix: Place some sugar from the recipe in with them while processing.
5. Shortening sticking to the measuring cup.
Fix: If recipe calls for eggs, crack them into measuring cup and add to recipe. Then place shortening into the same cup. It will not stick! Or you could spray the measuring cup with cooking spray before adding shortening.
6. Brown sugar is hard.
Fix: Place a slice of bread in with it the night before you need it. Or, place it in the microwave for a few seconds until soft.
7. Ran out of buttermilk.
Fix: For 1 cup of buttermilk: 1/3 cup lemon juice and fill the rest of the cup with milk to equal 1 cup total.
8. If you need to know if your eggs are fresh:
Place eggs in water. Older eggs will float higher.
9. If you have extra bananas:
Mash them and freeze in a small plastic bag. This will be great to use later for banana bread!
10. When you purchase hamburger meat in bulk, separate it into 1 pound increments and freeze in zip top plastic bags. When you are ready to make your meat loaf, defrost the meat in the bag then add your ingredients into the bag. Zip the top and squeeze together with your hands. Your hands never have to get dirty!
Meatball or Meatloaf recipe
- 1 pound of ground beef (or combine equal parts of ground beef, veal and pork)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup of breadcrumbs
- 2 pieces of sliced white bread
- Garlic powder
Combine meat, egg, bread (soak bread in water and squeeze out water before placing in your bowl), crumbs and spices into your bowl.
If you are making meatballs, roll them up at this time and place on a foil covered baking sheet.
If you are making meat loaf, form it into a loaf shape and place it on a foil lined baking sheet.
Bake your meat at 350° for about 25 to 50 minutes. (Meatballs bake for about 25 to 35 minutes and meat loaf will bake for about 40-50 minutes.)
Try frying the meatballs in oil or making them in the crock pot! If you make them in the crock pot, pour a can of tomato sauce over them to cook in.