You can make beautiful, homemade holiday decorations for minimal cost with many items you already have around the house. The cost of each decoration is the maximum amount you would spend if you bought all the supplies from a craft store. These homemade Christmas decorations are inexpensive and easy to make.
Lighted Pinecone Basket Centerpiece-cost: $10
I love the pinecone basket because I can get the kids to help me collect the pinecones. This one can be made with little to no cost if you already have a glue gun, basket that you’re not using, and pieces of ribbon.
Pinecones-You can purchase these already scented from a craft store or you can gather them from outside. Just make sure the pinecones you choose are not too dry.
Basket or decorative bowl
Battery operated pumpkin light or short light string
Ribbon and beads
Glue gun or glue dots
1. Glue the ribbon and beads around the basket.
2. If you are using a pumpkin light, place it in the bottom of the basket. I like to use a multicolored light that changes hues. If you are using string of lights then place the battery end of the string in the bottom of the basket.
3. Place the pinecones in the basket and weave the string of lights through the pinecones. Spray on the scent.
Painted Ceramic Ornament Garland-cost: $10
I am not a stellar painter but these ornaments are simple to paint. I hang them on garland to give color against the greenery. Your painting doesn’t have to be perfect since they are normally hung either over windows or archways.
Variety of ornaments-Choose up to five ornaments of the same style or theme
1. Paint the ornaments. Use bolder colors because these ornaments are going to be hung on the garland. Put on the hooks once the ornaments are dry.
2. Hang the garland over a window or archway. Hang the ornaments on the garland so that they are evenly spaced.
Personalized Wreath-cost: $10
You can pick any size wreath for this project. I have a homemade wreath that has Christmas Disney characters on it. You can pick any theme to reflect your personality.
Personalized decorations-Use a theme or color coordinate.
Ribbon and/or bows
1. Glue the decorations onto the wreath. Start with the larger decorations and glue them on. Space them out evenly to give the wreath symmetry.
2. Fill in the gaps with the smaller ribbons and holly berries.
Since these Christmas decorations are easy and inexpensive to make you can make these holiday decorations for yourself or give them away as gifts.