Get creative with your gift giving with any of these homemade wrapping paper ideas. Create one-of-a-kind wrapping paper for holiday gifts, birthday gifts, or any occasion, in just a few simple steps. This is a very easy craft project that the kids can help you with, or something you can do on your own. Here are several variations for DIY wrapping paper.
Homemade wrapping paper ideas using brown paper bags:
Brown paper bags are heavy-duty and are a great material for DIY wrapping paper. You can’t see through it and it can be painted or stamped without being ruined. Paper bags are available free at your local grocery store too, so they are inexpensive to work with. If you prefer, parcel paper can be substituted.
– Use stencils and stencil paints to create your own unique design.
– Sponge paint a textured design on a brown paper bag.
– Crumble the bag in a ball and straighten it out and lay it flat. Iron the bag on low heat and repeat the process several times for an antique look.
– Use craft stamps to create a unique pattern.
– Have your child draw a picture, or cut one from a coloring book, and glue it on the top of your bag.
– Create a photo collage using photos printed on plain paper.
– Hot glue various shaped buttons to your paper.
Homemade wrapping paper ideas using aluminum foil:
– Lay out a flat sheet of aluminum foil and spray paint the recipient’s name on the top of the gift using a stencil.
– Create a layered effect by gluing pieces of colored foil around the border of the gift.
– Glue on blue snowflake embellishments for an icy winter look.
– Use colored rubber bands and stretch them crossways and lengthways to form a pattern.
Homemade wrapping paper ideas using tissue paper:
– Wrap the gift with bright colored tissue paper. Then stamp one consistent pattern on the paper using a rubber stamp.
– Wrap the paper in tissue paper and tie off with a bow. Insert artificial flowers into the ribbon for a unique look.
– Instead of using one sheet of wrapping paper to wrap your gift, use 1″ strips and crisscross them to form an intricate pattern.
DIY wrapping paper using candy wrappers:
1. Collect several colorful candy wrappers and set aside.
2. Lay a sheet of parcel paper on a flat surface. Be sure to measure it according to package size.
3. Flatten out all your candy wrappers.
4. Apply craft PVA glue to each wrapper with a paintbrush, and attach to the parcel paper.
5. Each piece should butt up against each other to create a complete look.
If you liked this article you may also enjoy:
Tissue Paper Bow Craft Project
Twig Wreath Craft Project
Memory Box Craft Project
Personal knowledge and experience
Jennifer Wagner – Yahoo! Contributor Network