Application for 501c3 status or tax exemption goes through the IRS and must meet the proper criteria for approval.
1. You must be a registered corporation, association or trust. (Types of exempt organizations include charities, welfare organizations, labor groups, social clubs, veterans clubs, and agriculture organizations. )
2. It is necessary to have a Employee Identification Number ( EIN) ( you may see to Form SS-4 or call 1-800-829-4933 online application is also available here.
3. Attach copies of your financial statements and tax returns to the form. Either from the proceeding three (3) years or the current one . (This option is available for new a new business only.)
4. Your organization must have been in place for at least three (3) taxable years. OR give tax statements for the preceding year along with proposed budget for the next two (2) years.
5. If you are using an attorney, you must complete and attach Form 2848 Power Of Attorney And Declaration Of Representative.
6. Fill out the 501(c)(3) form. This should be submitted with a fee. $250-$850 depending on your conditions in check or money order made payable to the United States Treasury. Must be in U.S. Dollars.
7. Ship to Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 12192
Covington, KY 41012-0192 or for express mail Internal Revenue Service
201 W. Rivercenter Blvd.
Attn: Extracting Stop 312
Covington, Ky. 41011 Some organizations are required to inform the IRS no longer that 27 months after formation in order to notify the Service of their intentions for 501(c)(3) status.