If you are looking to harvest your fruits and vegetables this year, it is important to know when you should do this. There are many different ways you can tell when a fruit is ready to be picked but they will vary. One of the fruits you could pick this year is pears and you want to make sure you pick them at the right time. If you want to know the best time to pick pears then here is an easy guide to help you.
1. The first thing you want to look at is the firmness of the pear to determine whether or not it is ripe to pick. You want the flesh to be a little soft, but it still should be pretty firm to the touch. You want the skin to give a little under the pressure of your thumb, but it should not make a dent in the pear. If you need help knowing the firmness then think about how firm a ripe tomato is for comparison.
2. You can also use the color of the pear to determine whether or not it is ripe. You want the color to be a yellow and green color before you pick the pear. If the pear is too green then it will be less flavorful and probably will never achieve the right flavor. If the pear is too yellow then this indicates that it is too ripe and will be soft.
3. You also will want the pear to have seeds that are turning brown before you pick it. When you look at the pear you should be able to see the seeds turning brown and this is when you want to harvest them.
4. You also know when the pears are ripe when you go to pick them off of the tree. If the pears come out of the tree with a slight twist and pull then they are ready. You want to make sure that you are pulling the pear off of the tree in a slightly upward direction. If the pear is very hard to get off of the tree then this is a good indication it is not ripe yet.
5. It is a misconception that the pears will ripen better if it is left on the tree and this can ruin a harvest. You do not want to leave the pears on the tree because they will become very gritty and will taste bland. The area surrounding the core of the pear will also turn brown and get very soft. If this happens, then your whole pear harvest could possibly be ruined or significantly damaged.
6. If you need to ripen your pears after you pick them then they should be stored in an appropriate place. The pear should ripen in a cool and dark place where temperatures are between 60 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit. If you place the pears in a refrigerator you will be able to preserve them longer.
7. The time of the year to pick pears will vary depending upon what type of pear you have. Typically, you will be able to pick your pears between August and October but this will depend upon the variety you have. It is important to know what time of the year you can harvest the variety of pears you have.
If you follow this easy guide then you will be able to pick your pears at the most appropriate time. Picking your pears at the right time is important to enhance the overall flavor of the fruit. If you are not sure what type of pears you have then you can contact your local plant store and they should be able to help you. By following this guide, you will be able to enjoy the texture and flavor of a perfect pear.