It is only natural to want the best for your health, and one way to keep yourself healthy is by eating the right way. Weight control is essential to your health, and the best way you can achieve this is by eating smaller portions. This method of limiting food portions can also be beneficial to your digestive system. Most nutritional experts suggest eating small portions more often rather than having three big meals in a day. Although you may feel that you are eating too frequently, with smaller portions, you can actually lose weight. Here’s a simple guide on how to eat smaller portions and lose weight:
1. You can start by looking at the sizes of your plates and bowls. Using smaller plates and bowls for eating can actually trick your mind into thinking that you are eating more which will result to making you feel full faster. Often, the visual image of a big plate can make you want to fill it up, which means more food, more calories. Try using smaller plates so that you will be eating smaller portions than you used to. If you don’t own any small plates, buy some now in pretty styles, to add to the visual appeal of your meals.
2. Drink water even before you start your meal. This will make you feel full before the meal, which will make you eat less. This will also help you keep your daily water requirement which most people forget to do sometimes.
3. Eat slowly. Studies show that the brain starts sending signals that the stomach is full within 20 minutes of eating. If you eat slowly, you can appreciate the taste of your food better. By eating smaller portions more slowly, you can feel full after 20 minutes, with lesser food intake than you would normally do.
4. Do not over fill your plate with food. Doing so will just tempt you to finish everything. Check if you are already full, and know when to stop. Eat more fruits and vegetables, because these have fiber in them which can help you feel fuller faster.
5. Don’t totally give up the foods you enjoy eating. If you are having a sweet tooth craving, go ahead and have a small cookie or a chocolate bar. It is better to give in to your cravings, rather than to suspend them, which can create feelings of deprivation. When you can not enjoy the foods you used to, the craving will not stop. More often than not, people who starve themselves will later on succumb to the temptation and will end up eating more. An occasional dessert will not really hurt, but make sure that you also limit your portions.
6. Eat 6 small meals instead of three. This will make you feel constantly full and will help you overcome your food cravings.
7. Stop using the word “diet,” and replace it instead with more positive words like proper portioning, healthy eating and new eating patterns for weight loss.
With these tips on how to eat smaller portions, you can lose weight without really starving yourself. Start now and see the benefit of not really being on a diet and yet, still losing those stubborn pounds.