If you work from home part time or full time, you can already understand the importance of going green in your home office. Not only is an eco-friendly office better for the environment but it will also help you save money and get more from your office and supplies.
Here are some tips on how to have an eco-friendly home office:
• Try to reduce the amount of paper you use in your office. For example, don’t print when you don’t have to and if it’s just for in-office use, consider printing both sides of the paper.
• Use baskets for separating your recyclables in the office, or at least one basket for paper. This helps prevent excess waste and allows you to recycle the paper products that you do have in your home office.
• Change the settings on your print jobs whenever possible to the lowest quality to save more ink and allow your cartridges to last longer.
• Whenever possible, buy eco-friendly and green supplies so you continue to be eco-conscious in the products you buy and use as well as your output from the office.
• Keep junk mail and other documents that you have come in so that you can write on them, jot down notes and more. Old envelopes make great scratch pads and much more. This also reduces waste from the office.
• Always turn off lights and appliances when they are not in use to help conserve use. You should also unplug appliances when they are not being used, such as when you go to bed or leave the office. Even those that are turned off but still plugged in will use some electricity.
• When you need to buy new appliances and electronics, look for their Energy Star rating and try to choose items that are ranked well for energy conservation. This also saves you money on office energy use.
If you are not already doing these things in your home office, there is no better time than now to start implementing them as a way to help save money and reduce waste from your home office. You should also make it a point to stay up to date on new technologies for the office and for green living. This will help you learn about new methods of being eco-friendly so you can begin implementing them into your home office right away.
Personal experience- self employed 10+ years